This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for RPG's with good combat for PC.

#1PhizulzPosted 12/9/2013 12:40:13 AM
I've played:

Mass Effect trilogy (combat was AWESOME in 3)
Skyrim (didn't play much because the combat was garbage)
Dragons Dogma (awesome combat, as expected of Capcom, but was set in a boring, barren world)
Dark Souls (awesome all-round, played too much of it though)
Path of Exile (just not a fan of that kind of combat)
The Witcher (didn't like the fighting in that one so haven't bothered with number 2)
Dragon Age (enjoyed it more on console than PC since it was more action orientated)

Soooooo, any ideas? or am I bum out of luck? I'd try action MMO's but they don't give a crap about Oceania. Playing Action MMO's with 300-600ms ping is game breaking.
#2AsucaHayashiPosted 12/9/2013 12:42:33 AM
The Witcher (didn't like the fighting in that one so haven't bothered with number 2)

combat in 2 is closer to dark souls than it is witcher 1.
also, get the combat overhaul mod(official release by game devs).
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png
#3Phizulz(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2013 12:56:19 AM
AsucaHayashi posted...

Woah seriously? Might give it a shot.
#4HamBurglar69Posted 12/9/2013 1:02:21 AM
Phizulz posted...
I've played:

Dragons Dogma (awesome combat, as expected of Capcom, but was set in a boring, barren world)
Dragon Age (enjoyed it more on console than PC since it was more action orientated)

Soooooo, any ideas? or am I bum out of luck? I'd try action MMO's but they don't give a crap about Oceania. Playing Action MMO's with 300-600ms ping is game breaking.

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130910190302/random-ness/images/2/20/Tommy_lee_jones_disappoint.jpg

Not only is that a terrible excuse to play it on console, but playing vanilla Dragon Age is awful in comparison to playing it on PC with the large variety of mods available online.

But then again, considering you like the Mass Effect trilogy I am not completely surprised.
---
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95696112/tumblr_mpjakcPyVC1rvua2oo1_500.gif
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95696112/margaery-tyrell.gif
#5The_Count_FooPosted 12/9/2013 1:11:28 AM
AsucaHayashi posted...

Where is that mod? I'd really like to try it :)
---
Divided by night...
#6SlaynPosted 12/9/2013 1:25:56 AM
AsucaHayashi posted...

LOL

<-> This much closer.

<-----------------------------------> Needs to be this much closer to even be compared to Dark Souls.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#7Phizulz(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2013 1:26:36 AM
HamBurglar69 posted...
Phizulz posted...
I've played:

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130910190302/random-ness/images/2/20/Tommy_lee_jones_disappoint.jpg

Not only is that a terrible excuse to play it on console, but playing vanilla Dragon Age is awful in comparison to playing it on PC with the large variety of mods available online.

But then again, considering you like the Mass Effect trilogy I am not completely surprised.

I don't care if mods enhance the world when I hate playing through it, the combat in Dragon Age simply isn't for me. I like to feel more involved, that my attacks are my own and you can 'feel' it when you use them. I doubt there's a combat mod that'd provide what I want for Dragon Age, only aesthetics or combat mods that change very little.
#8AsucaHayashiPosted 12/9/2013 1:34:24 AM
Slayn posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...

LOL

<-> This much closer.

<-----------------------------------> Needs to be this much closer to even be compared to Dark Souls.

the majority of the combat mechanics revolve around circling your opponent waiting for a good opening to strike with minor magic thrown in the mix... how is this not like DS?

the difference is that DS has far more mechanics to its combat while there's a much bigger RPG experience in witcher 2.

I don't care if mods enhance the world when I hate playing through it, the combat in Dragon Age simply isn't for me. I like to feel more involved, that my attacks are my own and you can 'feel' it when you use them. I doubt there's a combat mod that'd provide what I want for Dragon Age, only aesthetics or combat mods that change very little.

you're probably gonna love dragon age 2 then and it doesn't matter which version you play since it's pretty much a console game all-around compared to DA1.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png
#9Bellum_SacrumPosted 12/9/2013 3:03:03 AM(edited)
So you're practically looking for an Action RPG.

Ranged:
If you somehow liked Mass Effect, you might as well try Borderlands and STALKER.

Melee:
Unfortunately since you've already played Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma there's practically nothing to suggest as when it comes to combat, these two are on a completely different level than any other similarly themed game in the history of everything.

However I might as well suggest that you give Gothic 2 a try, just make sure you turn simplified combat controls off as they are garbage.

Also, I know it's not a PC game but, Demon's Souls.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#10Tyranius2Posted 12/9/2013 3:25:29 AM
the majority of the combat mechanics revolve around circling your opponent waiting for a good opening to strike with minor magic thrown in the mix... how is this not like DS?

Same could be said about Ninja Gaiden or God of War, or any hack n slash with a rolling mechanic.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius