This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you believe PC gaming is the way of the future?

#1Jedi454Posted 12/9/2013 2:00:36 AM(edited)
I just want everyone's take on it. Is the whole "PC master race" term is over used or do you believe that PC will completely take over the gaming industry and consoles will become obsolete in 20 to 30 years? Also, do you think the future will be digital only, making stores like Gamestop and EBgames disappear from existence?
---
GT: DyingRoman
My Gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/DyingRomanGaming
#2SteamsterPosted 12/9/2013 2:18:49 AM
I don't care what sells the most or what the common opinion is.

PC gaming has been the future ever since Carmack cloned Mario.
#3DawnshadowPosted 12/9/2013 2:21:10 AM
I don't think consoles in their concept will ever be obsolete-- there is something to be said about the ease of plug and play, and while computers are more versatile and powerful, they can be a pain in the rear sometimes. I could see consoles eventually merging with cell phones/tablets, though. Plug in the HDMI cable (or activate whatever wireless video standard is out by then) and a couple of wireless controllers, and that phone's your new console. Use the phone as the controller, for that matter.

The present of the PC industry is already pretty much digital. Only a few scarce titles are released in stores anymore, and most stores barely have a PC game section. Even consoles are starting to get into digital gaming, although their typical lack of backwards compatibility compared to PC is a drawback.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#4MashYouGoodPosted 12/9/2013 2:26:35 AM
It's not about belief. It's fact.

Console kiddies 'believe' console toys are still relevant. And, much like religion, the Easter Bunny is more 'real' than this absurd notion.
#5superdarkshadowPosted 12/9/2013 3:53:13 AM
I think consoles will ultimately sees to exist. My guess is that SONY and Microsoft will bring out services like Steam and Uplay, and sell games from there. Maybe they'll come up with some kind of "compatible with PlayStation" sticker for PCs, but I think they'll stop making their own hardware.
---
Corsair TX950W|ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe|Intel Core i5 2500K|CM Hyper 212+|ASUS GTX 670 DC2|Crucial M4 128GB |Samsung Spinpoint F3|CM 690 II Advanced|2x Dell U2312HM
#6Blobs_Posted 12/9/2013 3:56:34 AM
superdarkshadow posted...
I think consoles will ultimately sees to exist. My guess is that SONY and Microsoft will bring out services like Steam and Uplay, and sell games from there. Maybe they'll come up with some kind of "compatible with PlayStation" sticker for PCs, but I think they'll stop making their own hardware.

sees to exist lol
---
is haha
#7LostHisHardcorePosted 12/9/2013 4:08:30 AM
PCs as they are now probably won't exist in 20/30 years.
Consoles are becoming media machines and so are computers. They'll have merged in a couple of decades.
---
"What we've got here is a failure to communicate!"
"I'm you, I'm your shadow!"
#8Silent Sniper IVPosted 12/9/2013 4:11:38 AM
I've been gaming on my pc since the mid-90s and every year I hear it's going to die or there aren't any exclusives or whatever. So I'll just keep on keeping on and adapt as needed. I play consoles too, but they're always secondary and come and go. PC has just been more of a mega-collection that just gets bigger and bigger by the year and I feel like it's a constant "always there" whereas systems come and go every couple years.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#9jZangetsu21Posted 12/9/2013 4:17:29 AM
MashYouGood posted...
It's not about belief. It's fact.

Console kiddies 'believe' console toys are still relevant. And, much like religion, the Easter Bunny is more 'real' than this absurd notion.

Who hurt you?
#10Bellum_SacrumPosted 12/9/2013 4:19:21 AM
PC gaming was always niche. Fact.
Console gaming is the way of the present. Fact.
Cloud gaming is the way of the future. Fact.

So yeah, after consoles die out (which is kind of hard considering Nintendo is harder to kill than cockroaches and like hell are they abandoning their old-fashioned practices), you'll be able to stream games to whatever device you're using, with hardware specs being completely irrelevant.

You'll just pay a subscription fee to some cloud service provider and you'll be able to play whatever game said service provides on whatever device you want. Most probably, directly on your TV as long as it can connect to the internet and has a usb port.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."