This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Windows 8/8.1 sales plummeting; starting to become outsold by Windows 7.

#141AlleRacingPosted 12/11/2013 6:54:01 AM
Yeah, no one is complaining about the things Windows 8 improved, those things are often (probably unanimously) met with praise. People just hate Metro, most of whom don't like the aesthetic or usability of it. If they stripped out Metro completely, Windows 8 would unarguably be the better operating system compared to 7.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#142thegreatsquarePosted 12/11/2013 7:03:13 AM
TehPwnzerer posted...
MS should have just kept their tiles for their smartphones and tablets, they don't belong on a desktop. Even Apple wasn't that stupid.

I agree, but at the very least the OS should be able to tell whether the monitor is a touchscreen or not and provide a start button when it isn't.
---
ASUS G73jh i7 720/Mobility HD 5870/6GB DDR3 1404MHz/Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid HDD
#143ElDudorinoPosted 12/11/2013 8:30:40 AM(edited)
AlleRacing posted...
Yeah, no one is complaining about the things Windows 8 improved, those things are often (probably unanimously) met with praise. People just hate Metro, most of whom don't like the aesthetic or usability of it. If they stripped out Metro completely, Windows 8 would unarguably be the better operating system compared to 7.

Yep. It all comes down to the interface, and there's no intelligent debate to be had about which is "better" between a person who likes Metro versus a person who doesn't, as this topic has shown. But the world has shown that it's pretty pissed off about Microsoft trying to force-feed us a new UI, and I stand with them for once. I hate the way Windows 8 looks and feels and operates.

As somebody who grew up with DOS, has dabbled in a few Linux distros and various versions of the MacOS, and has a lot of experience with every version of Windows except for a couple of the NTs, I've found that Windows 7 offers me the best combination of aesthetics and functionality out of any OS I've used (especially with RainMeter and/or dock software when I want to change up the desktop). Topics like these show that a lot of people feel the same way. When Microsoft has clearly designed a system which most of the world seems to be happy with, they have no reason to try and instantly force the world into a jarring transition to a new user interface. They made a mistake, and it's showing now.

I'm not even saying that they shouldn't have developed Metro. They just shouldn't have forced it on everybody. That was a bold move but also a stupid one.

The best part about the pro-Win8 side of the debate, though, is all the people saying "Have fun being stuck in Y2K" and other ridiculous crap like that. For all of the minor technological improvements Win8 has under the hood, there's really nothing THAT different from Win7. What, certain applications will load 7% faster? Nobody notices stuff like that in the real world anyway, especially if they already have SSDs and everything is already instantaneous on their existing OS.