This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sell me on Endless Space

#11Forever ShadowedPosted 12/10/2013 7:01:22 AM
Well, sounds like I made a mistake buying this during the Summer Sale.

Still, if you are looking for the best 4X game ever, just play Galactic Civilizations 2.
---
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
#12pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 7:06:08 AM
Forever Shadowed posted...

If you have it in your inventory I'll trade you for it.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#13KabtheMentatPosted 12/10/2013 7:08:36 AM

Still, if you are looking for the best 4X game ever, just play Galactic Civilizations 2.

I have to agree with this guy. GalCiv2 is probably the best 4X game made right now...GalCiv3 is being worked on as we speak and if they can manage to improve on 2, it'll then be the best 4X game ever.

GalCiv2 is great for many reasons, but the one that stands out most IMO is the AI and diplomacy. It's actually done pretty well and is easily the most in depth and functional system in a 4X game. Wanna be an intergalactic peacemaker? Do it. Peacekeeper? Do it. Arms dealer? Do it. Psychopathic warmonger? Do it. It's very easy to deal with, but there's a lot going on with it.

Also, you can completely design your own ships and make them look like whatever you want. And on the functional side you can customize them totally...which you'll want to do because there's a rock/paper/scissor aspect to the weaponry/armor in the game which will force you to make various ship models for different enemies.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#14Forever ShadowedPosted 12/10/2013 7:14:36 AM
pothocket posted...

If you have it in your inventory I'll trade you for it.

Sorry, it's in my library.

And I agree about GalCiv2 diplomacy. There is so much depth and stuff you can do. Easily the best diplomacy in a game I've ever seen.
---
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
#15KabtheMentatPosted 12/10/2013 7:21:53 AM(edited)
Yeah, one of the most fun games of GalCiv2 I had was playing as a neutral Terran civ and essentially becoming an amoral arms dealer. There were several wars in the game, but usually involved two power blocs that were mostly evenly matched. I made tons of money and tech from building and selling warships to both sides. I tried to balance out the designs so they'd kinda offset each other. The point was to keep both sides fighting, but not really gaining anything. A stalemate. I'd often give ships away for little to nothing in order to keep the balance.

But I always made sure my ships were better matched. Which wasn't hard because I always knew what was in everyone's fleet...because I built it. Managed to control a large portion of the map without firing a shot. And when I did have to fire shots, it was always over quickly and in my favor.

You simply cannot do that in any other 4X game I know of.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#16clowningPosted 12/10/2013 9:47:01 AM
MOO 2 is the best 4x game ever. Vastly superior diplomacy to any other 4x game ever made. Best races, best race creator. Each faction's emperor actually has personality types, for crying out loud, and they differ from game to game. MOO2 is brilliant. It has no equal.

Unfortunately, it is quite old, and some people can't get past that.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#17MonkeymagePosted 12/10/2013 9:50:16 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#18clowningPosted 12/10/2013 10:12:23 AM
KabtheMentat posted...
Yeah, one of the most fun games of GalCiv2 I had was playing as a neutral Terran civ and essentially becoming an amoral arms dealer. There were several wars in the game, but usually involved two power blocs that were mostly evenly matched. I made tons of money and tech from building and selling warships to both sides. I tried to balance out the designs so they'd kinda offset each other. The point was to keep both sides fighting, but not really gaining anything. A stalemate. I'd often give ships away for little to nothing in order to keep the balance.

But I always made sure my ships were better matched. Which wasn't hard because I always knew what was in everyone's fleet...because I built it. Managed to control a large portion of the map without firing a shot. And when I did have to fire shots, it was always over quickly and in my favor.

You simply cannot do that in any other 4X game I know of.

MOO 2.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#19TowerBooks3192Posted 12/11/2013 10:27:30 PM
clowning posted...
MOO 2 is the best 4x game ever. Vastly superior diplomacy to any other 4x game ever made. Best races, best race creator. Each faction's emperor actually has personality types, for crying out loud, and they differ from game to game. MOO2 is brilliant. It has no equal.

Unfortunately, it is quite old, and some people can't get past that.

Agreed. I reckon its an alien artifact. It is pretty advanced for its time. I first played it at around 2011 and its really great.My other favourite would be SMAC. I think they found a solution to stack of doom before UPT of Civ V. IMHO Distant Worlds is the best pausable real-time and a tie between MoO2 and SMAC.

If you want fun oldschool games for a couple of dollars then I suggest getting MoO2, SMAC, and HoMM3. If you are willing to take a leap of faith then I suggest you get Distant Worlds with all its expansions and Dominions 4.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#20darkmaian23Posted 12/15/2013 12:32:21 AM
I'm going to give it two thumbs down. I liked the idea of the game, but the execution was poor. I'm not a skilled strategy veteran or anything, but I found managing happiness and empire expansion to both be strange in Endless Space. Also, even though there are technically peaceful victory conditions, diplomacy seems broken/useless and mid to late game consists of nothing but warfare no matter how you build your civilization.

If anyone would like to rebuke my criticisms, please feel free to do so. I would love to be wrong since the idea behind the game is great, and it is just going unused in my library. I would be thrilled if ES were actually better than I think it is.