This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

IT Certification questions

#1MasterGamer72Posted 12/9/2013 11:35:40 AM
I currently have CompTIA's A+ cert.

I was looking at getting Net+ and Sec+. I may just get Sec+ and not waste my time with Net+, unless there's any real benefit to getting both? Maybe it'd look better on the resume...

Though I wonder: if I'm going to get Net+, should I take a look at Cisco's CCENT first? I heard that's supposed to be very entry level and basic.

I'll be using my GI bill to pay for all these, so money isn't really an issue. Thoughts?

I'm currently finished my bachelor's in IT as well.

Not really sure if this is the best board to ask on, but figured I'd give it a try.
---
Less talk more rock.
#2ein311Posted 12/9/2013 12:25:55 PM
I've personally seen a bigger interest in candidates getting Net+ over Sec+. I have both and prospective employers have voiced their interest in my Net+ cert more than Sec+.
Sec+ does seem to be focused on more of a niche than the more general Net+, but it all really depends on what kind of job you're going to go into.
Also, keep in mind that all three of these certs (A+, Net+, Sec+) are pretty entry-level.
CCENT is kind of like a Cisco-focused Net+. It's useful especially if you're looking at environments that use Cisco products so it wouldn't hurt to get it.
Have you had much experience with Cisco networking and products? If you're feeling ambitious enough, attempt the CCNA coursework and try to get that cert. It carries a lot more clout than any of these other certs and is pretty obtainable even with someone that may not have much real-world experience.

While you're at it, take a look at some Microsoft certs. There are certifications for a broad range of their products, but being certified in Windows Client or Server OS will be nice to have.

Is there a limit on how much you can use the GI Bill? Exams can add up quick. Also, the study material related to the exams can be pretty costly as well.
I've generally purchased coursework that carries a pass guarantee with it and also took advantage of second chance exams just in case the first time around doesn't cut it.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#3Worknofun370Posted 12/9/2013 12:29:10 PM
Be careful not to become a paper tiger. You don't want to stack up a bunch of certs with little to no experience to go with it. It will likely end up hurting you more than helping you.

The question as to what certs you want to go for kinda depends on what you want to do in the IT world. For example, if you don't want to be a Network Admin, you probably don't want to get Net+ and a CCNA.
#4ein311Posted 12/9/2013 12:32:13 PM
Worknofun370 posted...
if you don't want to be a Network Admin, you probably don't want to get Net+ and a CCNA.

Yeah, that's a real important point to make.

Also one thing I should mention as well is that since TC already has a bachelor's, that should open up eligibility to at least some entry-level jobs to get the real-world experience going.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#5Worknofun370Posted 12/9/2013 12:38:47 PM
ein311 posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
if you don't want to be a Network Admin, you probably don't want to get Net+ and a CCNA.

Yeah, that's a real important point to make.

Also one thing I should mention as well is that since TC already has a bachelor's, that should open up eligibility to at least some entry-level jobs to get the real-world experience going.

Ahh I misread his post and thought he was still going for his bachelors.

Welp... if you have your Bachelors than I would leverage that more than any possible future certs. (especially the CompTIA Certs)
#6MasterGamer72(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2013 2:30:55 PM
D'oh, I just realized I wrote "finished" instead of "finishing".

I'm still going for my bachelors. I graduate spring of 2015. for the air force I am a client systems tech which is mainly just computer repair help desk stuff. I work a second job for my university in their data center doing server monitoring.

I wanna become either a network administrator or something like that. I have an internship waiting for me next summer at progressive insurance at their data center. (Hopefully my military stuff won't interfere too much with that.)

For experience, I guess I have an okay resume going with those things. I might do ccent/can a first since I just recently got comptia a+.

Or maybe just scrap the certs idea and get a master's lol. BTw I'm typing on my phone so I apologize if this post looks like crap.
---
Less talk more rock.
#7Worknofun370Posted 12/9/2013 2:34:10 PM
If you want to become a Network Admin than CCNA is pretty important. It's a without question must if you plan on working somewhere that has cisco equipment. A Net+ would be nice to couple with things.

As for scrapping certs and getting your masters (even if it was just a joke) yeahh... you don't want to do that. :) IT is a field were experience trumps anything and everything. A masters degree won't help you at all, and really is usually picked up just so you can teach it. - Not always by anymeans, but on average I would make that claim.
#8daemon_danPosted 12/9/2013 2:37:37 PM
The A+ cert is really the only one that means a damn. It's the only Comptia cert that doesn't have a Cisco or Microsoft equivalent. Look into getting a CCNA or whatever Microsoft cert is the equivalent. Or both. Both can't hurt. And biggest word of advice, if you're going to do those certs, take some college courses that apply to them. Not so much to get a degree, but most of the professors/instructors that do those sort of things are experts in their field. They will help you learn, and if you're good, talk to them about who they can introduce you to to help land a job. Not having experience is what will kill you if you don't KNOW people
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#9Worknofun370Posted 12/9/2013 2:39:55 PM
daemon_dan posted...
The A+ cert is really the only one that means a damn.

Wwhhhhatttt?!

The A+ Cert is one of the weakest and most worthless certs around.
#10daemon_danPosted 12/9/2013 2:42:12 PM(edited)
Worknofun370 posted...
daemon_dan posted...
The A+ cert is really the only one that means a damn.

Wwhhhhatttt?!

The A+ Cert is one of the weakest and most worthless certs around.

I meant of the comptia ones. It's pure hardware cert and none of the Cisco or Microsoft certs quite fill that niche.

Edit: Since all other comptia certs are easily trumped by their Cisco or Microsoft certs.
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride