This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

IT Certification questions

#11Worknofun370Posted 12/9/2013 3:43:49 PM
daemon_dan posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
daemon_dan posted...
The A+ cert is really the only one that means a damn.

Wwhhhhatttt?!

The A+ Cert is one of the weakest and most worthless certs around.

I meant of the comptia ones. It's pure hardware cert and none of the Cisco or Microsoft certs quite fill that niche.

I gotta disagree with you there too, the other compTIA certs hold more weight than the A+ Cert.

That being said, I get what you're trying to say and agree in principal.
#12daemon_danPosted 12/9/2013 3:46:50 PM
Worknofun370 posted...
daemon_dan posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
daemon_dan posted...
The A+ cert is really the only one that means a damn.

Wwhhhhatttt?!

The A+ Cert is one of the weakest and most worthless certs around.

I meant of the comptia ones. It's pure hardware cert and none of the Cisco or Microsoft certs quite fill that niche.

I gotta disagree with you there too, the other compTIA certs hold more weight than the A+ Cert.

That being said, I get what you're trying to say and agree in principal.

yeah, but there's NO point in going for the other Comptia ones when the Microsoft and Cisco ones exist, cause those crush the others. I'm just saying the A+ things aren't covered by any of the Microsoft or Cisco ones and is a good competency cert to have to help land a job that works with personal level hardware as well as business level networks. The Comptia Net+ and Security+ are worthless next to MS and Cisco ones. But the A+ is just the odd duck that just isn't covered by other certs.
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#13ein311Posted 12/9/2013 3:47:18 PM
daemon_dan posted...

TBH experience tends to trump an A+ cert. Plus with the new requirements to renew an A+ cert, it is even worth less now (IMO--I was lucky enough to get an A+ cert before the renewal requirements came out).

Net+ and Sec+ have purposes and can be seen as more desirable than A+.

Worknofun370 posted...
IT is a field were experience trumps anything and everything. A masters degree won't help you at all, and really is usually picked up just so you can teach it.

Just wanted to reinforce this and add onto it a bit. You can get pretty far in IT with your skills and experience. IT is an industry that may require you to move to different companies simply because upward mobility is hard to come by. Degrees beyond a bachelor's does help with upward mobility if you want to get into management roles, so they do have their own set of purposes. If you really want to be one of the "in the trenches" kind of people and be hands-on with administration (and leave managing to managers), then racking up experience + certs will help far more than a Master's.

It sounds like you've already got some really good experience to your name, so that'll help you for sure.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#14Worknofun370Posted 12/9/2013 3:56:25 PM
daemon_dan posted...

yeah, but there's NO point in going for the other Comptia ones when the Microsoft and Cisco ones exist, cause those crush the others. I'm just saying the A+ things aren't covered by any of the Microsoft or Cisco ones and is a good competency cert to have to help land a job that works with personal level hardware as well as business level networks. The Comptia Net+ and Security+ are worthless next to MS and Cisco ones. But the A+ is just the odd duck that just isn't covered by other certs.

I get the point you're trying to make.

I'm not trying to say the Net+ is on par with the CCNA. I'm trying to say the Net+ has more value than the A+, which it does. Someone with a Net+ Cert will get interviews for better positions than someone with just an A+.

Also, those specific certs only help if you're going somewhere that has said equipment. My CCNA is worthless at my current employer because we don't have any cisco products.

And remember, the Resume is all about getting the interview. The interview gets you the job. Atleast anywhere worth working that's how it goes :D
#15Worknofun370Posted 12/9/2013 3:59:33 PM
ein311 posted...
Degrees beyond a bachelor's does help with upward mobility if you want to get into management roles, so they do have their own set of purposes. If you really want to be one of the "in the trenches" kind of people and be hands-on with administration (and leave managing to managers), then racking up experience + certs will help far more than a Master's.

Very good point that I missed out on. If you do want to move into a management position than having higher degrees can help. I'm thankful enough to be at a company that, after you're hired, just cares about personality and on the job skills... so I've been able to move up some ranks without some better formal education. But it's not common from the sound of things.
#16MasterGamer72(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 7:32:46 AM
Fortunately, Progressive seems to try and bring their interns on full-time after graduation, as long as they prove themselves during the internship. So I'm definitely gonna bust my ass there.

From what I've heard, it does seem like Cisco's name holds more weight. Is the CCENT meant to be basic knowledge or is it still decently tough?

I wish the A+ cert wasn't seen as such a joke ;__; I understand that it used to be, but believe me when I say CompTIA really ramped things up with the 701/702 and the 801/802 series.

Seems like my experience really is the most valuable though. Most internship offers I've had were from places that were really interested in hearing about my IT experience with the air force and with the data center that I work in at my University. They rarely even ask about my degree in progress >__>

Thanks for all the help so far though, you guys have been great.
---
Less talk more rock.
#17Worknofun370Posted 12/10/2013 8:31:15 AM
MasterGamer72 posted...
Fortunately, Progressive seems to try and bring their interns on full-time after graduation, as long as they prove themselves during the internship. So I'm definitely gonna bust my ass there.

I can say first hand that the company I work for does the same thing. When you find a good intern, you get your claws into them as quick as possible so they don't get away. :)

From what I've heard, it does seem like Cisco's name holds more weight. Is the CCENT meant to be basic knowledge or is it still decently tough?

I would say the CCENT is pretty similar to Net+. It's pretty basic knowledge stuff with a few extras tossed in. It's typically just used as a stepping stone to a CCNA.
#18KnifegashPosted 12/10/2013 12:12:50 PM
Certifications trump degrees, and experience trumps certifications when it comes to IT. Get your associates, load up on certs, and jump in. It's way too difficult to do it the other way around, it's the kind of ladder you gotta climb upside down. IT is very weird that way.
---
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6
#19Orestes417Posted 12/10/2013 12:24:30 PM(edited)
No, certifications most certainly do not trump degrees. The only time that'd ever come close to being true is on the very high end. For the most part the only thing certs will do without appropriate real world experience to back them is screw you over for being a paper tiger.

The kind of cert that will carry heavy weight isn't the sort of thing you want to even think about attempting without serious real world experience. Things like the CCIE for example, make competent professionals nervous when they get around to that lab test portion. The fact you're looking at several thousand bucks to even attempt them does not help.

---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#20Worknofun370Posted 12/10/2013 12:25:44 PM
Knifegash posted...
Certifications trump degrees, and experience trumps certifications when it comes to IT. Get your associates, load up on certs, and jump in. It's way too difficult to do it the other way around, it's the kind of ladder you gotta climb upside down. IT is very weird that way.

Certifications trump degrees only in situations where the certification is clearly superior for the job offering at hand.

For example, if someone is looking specifically for a Cisco Network Administrator, having a CCNP would be better than having a degree. For some employers having a CCNA would be better than having a degree too.

For a large chunk of IT Jobs, especially entry level ones where the candidate doesn't have much if any experience, a degree is simply more powerful. (And degree == Bachelors here, not associates). This is coming from someone who doesn't have a Bachelors BTW. Certs with no experience simply show you know how to take a test. Degrees with no experience shows you stick with things and typically will come in with a wider range of knowledge and better methods of learning than someone without a degree, but may not have the same technical detail knowledge the person with a cert has. That's not nearly as big of a factor as you may believe for a lot of companies.

I agree that experience trumps all. When it comes to IT most companies simply want to hire someone who knows WTF they're doing, and nothing says "I know WTF i'm doing" by having already done it.