This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Certain websites won't load.

#1Ame_no_MurakumoPosted 12/9/2013 7:26:56 PM(edited)
This problem started earlier today when we had a power surge. No idea why that would affect it, but that's when it started. Google and YouTube are two sites that just will not load at all. GameFAQs and Bing work fine, which is weird.

I can download just fine. Downloaded a game on Steam at my highest speed. Tried using CCleaner, but that didn't help. Tried resetting the modem, but that didn't help either. Skype works fine, as does Trillian. Ugh, this is frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I should also say that our WiFi barely works ever since. Phone won't connect to it at the moment. Seems to only work randomly now.
#2LordSeiferPosted 12/9/2013 7:27:03 PM(edited)
try going into network connections and manually setting your DNS server to 8.8.8.8 on whatever connection you are using
---
^ this
#3Ame_no_Murakumo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2013 7:52:50 PM
Why would I suddenly need to do that, though?

I ran windows troubleshooting. Problems found: Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding.

Why would this happen?
#4Kokuei05Posted 12/9/2013 8:30:41 PM
start -> cmd -> ipconfig /flushdns
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u155ncSlkCk
#5Ame_no_Murakumo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2013 9:01:08 PM
Kokuei05 posted...
start -> cmd -> ipconfig /flushdns

I've tried that, as well as resetting my modem from within the modem IP, and resetting the modem to default settings.

I did go on my dad's computer, which connects to Google and everything just fine and his computer had a warning saying that it was "conflicting with the IP address of another computer on the network" which I assume to be mine, but I have no idea what to do about that.
#6Ame_no_Murakumo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 2:14:31 AM
Bump.
#7Ame_no_Murakumo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 3:18:40 AM(edited)
Figured out the problem. Avast was doing it. I did a system restore, just to see if it would work. Didn't expect it to, as windows said there was a DNS server problem. The system restore was to just before I installed Avast. Google and YouTube and all other sites that weren't working, were now working.

Installed Avast, everything broke again. Got rid of it, everything works again, now.

Avast was updated either yesterday or the day before, so I guess the update broke something. I really liked it, so that's a shame. Can anyone recommend a free antivirus?

Edit: Disabled Windows Defender, and reinstalled Avast. Seems fine now. Guess they were conflicting.