This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's that annoying lighting effect called in Skyrim (and can it be disabled?)

#1Arsene-LupinPosted 12/9/2013 9:33:34 PM
I don't know what it's called so I can't search for a mod/tweak to disable it myself, and it's a lighting effect that's used in many games, but is most pronounced in Skyrim.

Basically, when you're in an outdoor environment, the game will automatically brighten the screen (a lot) when you point the camera at the sky, and dim the camera when you point it at the ground. Ostensibly, this is done to simulate the effect of pupils dilating... but, being a human being, my pupils dilate on their own making this effect very annoying--all the more so due to my astigmatism which makes my eyes especially sensitive to light.

So... does anyone know what this effect is called? And/or a way to get rid of it in Skyrim?
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#2Nightmare2398Posted 12/9/2013 9:51:56 PM
bloom or HDR
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: VegetarianEater
"This is very heavy, and this, may I remind you, is on fire." -Moony (Moony and Broon Show)
#3ZeraphLordSPosted 12/9/2013 9:52:35 PM
hdr
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#4Lady UnePosted 12/9/2013 10:02:38 PM
To my knowledge you can't disable it.

I realize in real life our eyes adjust to brightness and so on, but it a game i'd rather not go blind a few seconds from looking and the ground, to the sky, and back again.
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
Wow. Kenny's a Japanese Princess..
#5Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2013 10:39:20 PM
Well, that stinks. At least I now know what it's called, though.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#6jake-sfPosted 12/9/2013 10:47:46 PM(edited)
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/31593

The effect you describe is -awful-. It is one of many things that I despise about modern gaming graphics. Seriously, let my eyes do the work themselves, this artificial stuff is incredibly irritating.

Ranting aside, the mod above severely reduces the.. uh, severity of those effects. I'm picky, and I can say its a good mod, that made those effects much more bearable, and hard to notice.

There are mods that completely remove them, but cause various, relatively severe graphical issues. That mod is the best of both world, it had no negative impact or compatibility issue.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#7AllmatteredPosted 12/9/2013 10:44:58 PM
How can you not like bloom? It's what makes most ugly-looking games look good visually
#8blax34dmPosted 12/9/2013 10:46:26 PM
Allmattered posted...
How can you not like bloom? It's what makes most ugly-looking games look good visually

Was gonna say the same thing
#9Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2013 11:20:55 PM
Bloom doesn't bother me.
It's the HDR nonsense, apparently.

That, along with directional audio, is one of my most hated effects.
---
#10thatfool12GsPosted 12/9/2013 11:27:14 PM
Arsene-Lupin posted...
That, along with directional audio, is one of my most hated effects.

I absolutely hate anti-aliasing and tessellation.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU