This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's that annoying lighting effect called in Skyrim (and can it be disabled?)

#21KnifegashPosted 12/10/2013 5:41:38 AM
I have no idea what's going on in this thread.

It's like a bad acid trip.
---
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6
#22Ch3wyPosted 12/10/2013 5:46:12 AM
Until your monitor is bright as the sun, this effect is needed. Stop whining and immerse yourself in its realism.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#23ClouddxPosted 12/10/2013 6:44:35 AM
Ch3wy posted...
Until your monitor is bright as the sun, this effect is needed. Stop whining and immerse yourself in its realism.

No, bloom hurts my eyes and gives me headaches. It's much more of an annoyance than a technique for immersion.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 470 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#24Ch3wyPosted 12/10/2013 6:50:19 AM
Clouddx posted...
Ch3wy posted...

No, bloom hurts my eyes and gives me headaches. It's much more of an annoyance than a technique for immersion.

Yeah, so would staring at the sun.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#25thatfool12GsPosted 12/10/2013 10:32:37 AM
wizardmon posted...
thatfool12Gs posted...
I absolutely hate anti-aliasing and tessellation.

I can understand the AA hate, but I'm pretty much guaranteeing that you only hate tessellation because you don't fully understand what it is doing; additionally, many game devs haven't properly used it that much.

Basically, what devs should be using tessellation for is a really advanced LoD system. Level of Detail typically is a system which the game devs make several different versions versions of the same model each with a different polygon count and texture resolution. Normally that means loading four to seven different versions of that rock into the game, increasing dev workload having to make many different versions of the same model, larger game install size, more use of RAM while playing and such. But with proper use of Tessellation, you can just make one high poly version of the model with nice smoothed out edges so you don't see any juttering edges on it. Then with that high poly model, you apply a tessellation curve to it having your system automatically changing the poly count of the model based off a detail to distance ratio in the curve.

Basically, if game devs stopped doing it wrong and treating tessellation as some sort of "ultra detail for high end systems only" feature, people would stop thinking of it as a more useless feature that has too deep of an impact on framerate. I fully believe that devs don't know how to treat it because until very recently it's been a PC only eyecandy treat that very few of their market base would ever actually see while they are playing the game, due to the target market being mostly console players. Horrible early life mistakes like Crysis 2's miserable implementation of tessellation left an ugly scar similar to how high framerate videos reminds people of bad home video recordings and soap operas making them not like other films in high framerate.

Sorry to have made you type all of that, I was joking. I like both.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#26MahoganyTooth92Posted 12/10/2013 10:36:11 AM
HDR is terrible.
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8