This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GTX 670 2GB vs GTX 770 4GB for 2560x1440

#21anthrax360xPosted 12/11/2013 3:33:30 PM
Boge posted...
It's hilarious that everyone is now saying 2GB isn't enough when just a year ago they were saying 2GB was more than enough.

Everyone doesn't upgrade once a year, ya know?

Most people are still quite content at 1080p
---
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.
#22RequiemPosted 12/11/2013 5:30:05 PM
BucklingSpring posted...
Thanks guys. Do you think the GTX 780 will drop in price by late January? I'm thinking of deals around $400? I bought one to use for now at $550, but will probably return it with Newegg's Iron Egg return policy.

No.
If mining didn't take off, Nvidia could have dropped the price to compete with AMD. Now, probably not. Nicer AMD cards are all being bought up by miners at a terrible mark up, so Nvidia really has no reason to drop prices. I'm wondering if they would have dropped the price the first time around if the mining craze hit just a month earlier.

Anyways, if you want a 780 (to keep), I'd return that $550 one and go buy a $450 one (preferably with free shipping and rebate) off of Newegg. And it hurts me to say that because I kind of hate Newegg.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#23Termin8rPosted 12/11/2013 5:34:26 PM
Boge posted...
It's hilarious that everyone is now saying 2GB isn't enough when just a year ago they were saying 2GB was more than enough.

With the way things are going now, it won't be long before games using more than 2GB of VRAM even on 1080p become more common. Just take a look at Battlefield 4 and its recommended 3GB VRAM spec, which is actually not complete BS because I've monitored it and saw it consistently use at least 2.1-2.2 GB VRAM when playing maxed out.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e6zStfw.gif
#24BucklingSpring(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 7:55:34 PM
Termin8r posted...
Boge posted...

With the way things are going now, it won't be long before games using more than 2GB of VRAM even on 1080p become more common. Just take a look at Battlefield 4 and its recommended 3GB VRAM spec, which is actually not complete BS because I've monitored it and saw it consistently use at least 2.1-2.2 GB VRAM when playing maxed out.

Another thing is I've read a lot of these games just utilize the extra memory as a buffer, and is not necessarily actually used in game. This is supported due to no performance hits and around 1.7 GB ram usage when situations that cause 2 GB+ of VRAM usage on cards that have that much VRAM are applied when using a video card with <= 2 GB of VRAM.