This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking at majorly upgrading my pc, need a bit of help with suggestions.

#1PokenubPosted 12/10/2013 5:25:28 AM
I'm on a price range of 1,700 dollars (NOTE: AUSTRALIAN PRICES).

This is what I've got so far, feel free to change things up, just please list the reason why.

Intel Core I7 3770
Gigabyte GI-Sniperm3
4 gig DDR3 Ram
2tb Sata3 HD

Obviously there are other things, but those are the main parts I've got so far. Unsure on what to do graphics card wise.

One last thing: While graphics aren't important to me, I'd like to be able to play modern games with no issues. I'm not talking about all that over the top resolution, high def, max quality stuff, with 60 fps or whatever. I'm just after a pc that can run games with no issues.
---
XBOX 360 GT: Invghost
Not looking forward to any games now.
#2GTL581Posted 12/10/2013 5:36:47 AM(edited)
well, what resolution are you looking at playing? and what games do you want to play?

i get that it's australian currency and things cost a lot more, but 1700 way more than you'd need if you don't want to run all games completely maxed out at a high resolution
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#3Pokenub(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 5:47:33 AM
I think the best way to put it is that I would like to run the most system resource draining game, at medium graphics.

But the other thought is, if I spend that much now, it means I won't have to upgrade for a few years at least. (That's the plan anyway.)
---
#4Pokenub(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 5:52:12 AM
Oh and in regards to the resolution, I'm not entirely sure.

Just to put this in perspective, I'm typing this on a windows xp 32 bit pc, a old dual core a mate was gunna chuck and a ATI Radeon HD 4600 series, so as you can imagine, it's not great.

At the moment, I'm just stockpiling humble bundles, so I have a huge backlog of games for when I get my pc. I think at this stage, Arkham City is probably the most graphically reliant (Which probably isn't that much, but meh, like I said, I'm prepping for future games I may be interested in too)
---
#5KabtheMentatPosted 12/10/2013 5:53:42 AM
You might want to use BF4 as your benchmark. Find out what it takes to run that well, and you should be able to run most games in the next couple years pretty well.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#6GTL581Posted 12/10/2013 6:04:01 AM(edited)
future-proofing with the intent on playing the most demanding games on medium now doesn't make too much sense. your system would last A LOT longer if you were to aim for something that could play games like crysis 3, the witcher 2, or metro last light on at least high settings. the lower you shoot for now the shorter the lifespan of your computer will be. but you could easily build something that would play them all at 1080p maxed (save for antialiasing and what not) for under $1000. any lower resolution and a mid-range graphics card could easily handle high/very high settings for most games.

with a budget like that i don't see why you couldn't go with a r9 280 or gtx 770, but if you want to aim much lower you don't need an i7 processor at all. an i5 would suit you just fine, maybe even an i3, and would save you a lot of money. i'm not too familiar with intel cpus, so someone else would have to recommend you which would be best. that is unless you want a system for more cpu tasks, as gaming isn't really the area where you want your cpu to be more powerful than your gpu. also might want at least 8gb of ram, it's not much more money usually and would give you a lot more headroom, especially if you want it to last.

edit: i see what you are saying, so disregard the first three sentences of this post
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#7GTL581Posted 12/10/2013 6:03:13 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8thegreatsquarePosted 12/10/2013 6:09:04 AM(edited)
1 Lower CPU to 3470, some OC capability if desired [Dependent on choice of mobo]

Why: Money best put elsewhere

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/642/bench/CPU_03.png

2: Get a good Power Supply. I was looking at pricespy.au, Corsair GS/TX series 600w-700w looked like decent deals for Australia.

3: 8GB RAM minimum, Corsair 8GB [4GBx2] RAM

4: GPU: AMD R9 290 [non-X]

The MATH.

$215 - i5 3470
$500 - R9 290
$120 - Corsair GS 700 [GS 600: -$15]
$120 - Corsair 8GB RAM kit
------
~$955

A decent LGA1155 Motherboard is $150-$200

Shoehorn the rest
---
ASUS G73jh i7 720/Mobility HD 5870/6GB DDR3 1404MHz/Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid HDD
#9Pokenub(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 6:06:47 AM
GTL581 posted...
future-proofing with the intent on playing the most demanding games on medium now doesn't make too much sense. your system would last A LOT longer if you were to aim for something that could play games like crysis 3, the witcher 2, or metro last light on at least high settings. the lower you shoot for now the shorter the lifespan of your computer will be. but you could easily build something that would play them all at 1080p maxed (save for antialiasing and what not) for under $1000. any lower resolution and a mid-range graphics card could easily handle high/very high settings for most games.

with a budget like that i don't see why you couldn't go with a r9 280 or gtx 770, but if you want to aim much lower you don't need an i7 processor at all. an i5 would suit you just fine, maybe even an i3, and would save you a lot of money. i'm not too familiar with intel cpus, so someone else would have to recommend you which would be best. that is unless you want a system for more cpu tasks, as gaming isn't really the area where you want your cpu to be more powerful than your gpu. also might want at least 8gb of ram, it's not much more money usually and would give you a lot more headroom, especially if you want it to last.

Hm, the amount of RAM was something I was thinking about.

Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't really specify the budget properly. I'm going to be spending 1,500-1,700 no matter what, so yeah. The graphics card suggestions are useful, but can you possibly tell me the difference between a R9 280 and a R9 280x? It's been ages since I have actually done anything hardware based.
---
#10KabtheMentatPosted 12/10/2013 6:11:22 AM
Well, if you're spending that much money, then you can get a very good computer.

1700 Aussie fun bucks = $1500. And assuming prices are too crazy in Australia, a $1500 gaming PC is pretty rad.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson