This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

1080p or 1440? 60hz or 120hz? 24in or 27in? This is worse than choosing a mouse!

#11LtMessiahDM504(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 9:12:02 AM
If I go with a Korean monitor, are there any with matte screens? Also hdmi support wouldn't hurt...as in preferred.
#12PraetorXynPosted 12/10/2013 9:23:37 AM
If you have light on you need matte. Just be aware that IPS matte coatings always seem to be really overblown compared to TN matte coatings.

Most Korean monitors are meant to be overlooked to around 96 Hz, so they will only have DVI.

You shouldn't use HDMI for monitors though, it's meant for TV. Use DisplayPort instead, or Dual Link DVI-D if your video card doesn't have DisplayPort.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#13LtMessiahDM504(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 9:36:15 AM
I linked to my video card up above. It says dual link dvi unless I am missing something.

I wanted HDMI for my PS3 and 360.

By Matte coatings being overblown, what do you mean by that?
#14me_faiyezPosted 12/10/2013 9:36:21 AM
Dual Link DVI is preferred for these high res, high refresh rate setups, as it is a superior interface.
---
I think they've taken the freedom and liberty thing a BIT TOO FAR!
-GlowStormLion on Japan's kinks.
#15nehukogPosted 12/10/2013 9:41:10 AM
lol don't get one of those korean ones. I did (the X-star) and when I overclocked it to 120hz it fried the DVI port it was plugged into! Now I only have 1 working DVI port on my video card, and I had to put it back to 60hz
#16Worknofun370Posted 12/10/2013 9:41:57 AM
1080p 24" and 144hz

Any type of budget

1080p 24" and 60hz
#17PraetorXynPosted 12/10/2013 10:08:27 AM
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
I linked to my video card up above. It says dual link dvi unless I am missing something.

I wanted HDMI for my PS3 and 360.

By Matte coatings being overblown, what do you mean by that?

That's fine, I wouldn't worry. Most monitors have DVI and HDMI nowadays, and a majority of them have DisplayPort as well.

By being overblown, that's hard to describe. You can hardly notice TN matte coatings, other than the image being slightly dimmer and worse quality than glossy. IPS coatings tend to be very bubbly and visible for some reason. The best thing to do there would be to go to a Best Buy or Microcenter or something and look at the IPS panels they have on display so you can make sure the matte coating won't bother you.

The Asus PB278Q is semi-glossy though if I'm not mistaken, so I think it has a very mild coating. I haven't used one, but I've had my eye on one for over a year; I'll be getting one when I build my new desktop next Fall.

The nice thing about ordering from Amazon though is that they have 30 day no-questions-asked full refund policy. Whenever I file my return, I generally have the money refunded by the end of the day, and then I have 30 days to send the item back.

So it might take a while, but you can order a monitor and have 30 days to make sure you like it with no risk.
---
#18LtMessiahDM504(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 10:47:54 AM
I found a perfect monitor that can be overclocked but it was said it frame skips when overclocking. I guess I may have to settle on not getting an HDMI capable monitor.
#19PraetorXynPosted 12/10/2013 2:59:26 PM
Personally I wouldn't worry about an overclockable monitor.

The best one you can get for that is the Overlord Tempest, but it's very rare to find one in stock on Overlord's website. But you still can't overclock to 120 Hz, it tops out at somewhere between 96 - 112 or so.

It would take SLI to max things at higher than 60 FPS at 1440p so I wouldn't worry much about that.

It's either a choice between proper connectivity (DisplayPort and HDMI) or 30 extra Hz or so via overclock.
---
#20LtMessiahDM504(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 4:25:53 PM(edited)
Well I have a few things in mind. The Asus I am using now is an IPS and I booted up Farcry 3 and it looked beautiful. I have read that this IPS is only average in terms of the image quality in the realm of IPS panels so that has my interest piqued.

I am not a professional gamer but was very curious about seeing how the 120+ hz feels though. I know I don't have the money to reach anywhere close to 120hz @ 1440p. It would be nice to see comparison shots of 1080p vs 1440 to see exactly what I gain.

I also don't know how 120hz would affect things like Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile. Does it do away with that motion blur when panning left and right quickly.

I may order a BenQ from amazon to try out the 120hz

I don't need the extra screen real estate and I am not to excited about dealing with tiny font. I have this 27 inch monitor around 24 inches away and I am not bothered by the font size on my desktop.

So many things steering me away and towards both the 120hz monitors and the 1440 displays.