This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Arcania looks pretty cool and

#1mumpsy21Posted 12/10/2013 7:56:52 AM
Dark/Demon Souls-ey and that makes me want it more.

Just wondering what you guys thought of the game?

In terms of story and battle system and content?
---
Nintendo FC: 2063-0552-1565
"You wanna go there? I'll go there. I was born there. There's a placard there commemorating me!"
#2Sage_Of_IcePosted 12/10/2013 8:04:12 AM
It's story is pretty bad and it's combat is very easy. Despite that, I would still recommend the game. It looks quite nice and has some very interesting mechanics. It isn't as long as it should have been, but for a sale price, it's a great game. Fall of Setarrif is an expansion to the game that was meant to complete it, but the publisher went under. Thankfully, the expansion still came out. Play it after you finish Arcania.

(This is coming from someone who has never played any of the other Gothic games.)
I enjoyed it for $60. It's less like Demon's Souls and more like Oblivion.
---
I've been in Troll form for so long...
#3mumpsy21(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 8:12:28 AM
Hmmm. Yeah I expected not much from the story, but what do you mean by "easy"? I'm not a pro, but I really dislike games that don't give me headaches.
---
"You wanna go there? I'll go there. I was born there. There's a placard there commemorating me!"
#4dekouPosted 12/10/2013 8:19:15 AM
Arcania is just bad in nearly every way. It used to be pretty, but is getting too old for that now. If you want a good, challenging RPG, play Gothic 3 with the community patch instead.
#5mumpsy21(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 8:25:49 AM
Just looked at Gothic 3, I'm actually not a fan of open-world stuff. I'm looking for something more Final Fantasy(Linear but has side stuff and challenging optional stuff and more lighthearted comedic dialogue). And I've already played 7 and 8, kinda disappointed by the latter though.
---
#6CaptainMetManPosted 12/10/2013 8:27:07 AM
It's okay, not a great game by any means. There should be a demo for it somewhere.

Two Worlds 2 is fun if you're looking at the stuff on the weekly sale. Whether it still has the activation limit DRM on Steam, I don't know, but I bought mine DRM free from GOG. I even enjoyed the first one, though I heard Epic Edition includes patches that makes it better than it used to be. Although I may just have an affinity towards crappy open world RPGs.

I just finished Risen and while the end was anticlimatic, the progression through the world was plenty fun if you get passed the initial everything wants to kill you dead difficulty spike. Seriously, you will die to the basic monsters until you adjust to the combat, learn moves, or become stronger. I hated Chapter 4 though. Risen is same devs as Gothic.
#7mumpsy21(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 8:34:35 AM
Just watched the trailer for Risen.

I wish they'd require some sort of format for trailers because I hate seeing one and barely knowing any more about a game. The reviews actually shone more of a light and makes it sound interesting.

Any other suggestions for an RPG?
---
#8Sage_Of_IcePosted 12/10/2013 8:52:53 AM
mumpsy21 posted...
Hmmm. Yeah I expected not much from the story, but what do you mean by "easy"? I'm not a pro, but I really dislike games that don't give me headaches.

The combat is easy in the sense that it's fairly easy to learn. You could say that it's just Dark Soul's without massive damage. I did have trouble in a few parts of the game. In reality, the enemies use scripted attacks, not much different from DS. If you want a linear game, this game is a very linear open world RPG. You'll go down the same route that everyone else did. I would try the demo. If you don't like this, Dragon's Dogma is your only other real option, but that isn't on PC, and it is much more open than Arcania.

There is an older 3d game that was being compared to Souls, but I can't recall it's name.
---
I've been in Troll form for so long...
#9mumpsy21(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 9:08:39 AM
Okay, I'll try the demo out. Oh and I already finished Dragon's Dogma, it was awesome, while it lasted. Could have used more variety in skills though.
---
#10dekouPosted 12/10/2013 9:15:44 AM
It's not on sale at the moment, but you may like Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga. It's funny, challenging and semi-linear. If you don't like open world stuff, I'd advise to skip Risen, because it is quite open.