This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Friend wants to upgrade psu and graphics card, I have some worries

#1silvergokuZPosted 12/10/2013 8:41:23 AM
He wants a R9 series but at first only was going to get a 600w psu, now says he will get a 650w but I worry this is cutting it close, he isnt getting top of the range card that needs a more beefy psu but even so I think that if his needs are around 550w then he is cutting it fine so a more powerful one would last much longer under load but wondered other peoples opinions
---
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.
#2ShubPosted 12/10/2013 8:44:45 AM
550W is fine for an R9 290X, 650W is nowhere near cutting it close. You'll want a 750W if you want two cards.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 12/10/2013 10:18:11 AM(edited)
You can just look up the recommendations from the manufacturer. Mid-range cards like the GTX 760, 7950 and r9 280x etc. only need around a 500 watt PSU, provided that you just have a regular build with no other unconventional powerhungry components.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#4silvergokuZ(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 5:49:27 PM
He doesn't have much really, a i7 2700k a 1tb hd and a 500 gig hd and a dvd burner and 2 case fans.
---
#5Kokuei05Posted 12/10/2013 5:57:22 PM
You're overreacting on how much you power you need.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u155ncSlkCk
#6silvergokuZ(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 7:46:42 PM
Kokuei05 posted...

I didnt mean I was going crazy or anything I just was worried that if he does demanding tasks a lot which made it close to load it would have a much higher risk than a more powerful cpu with a lot of headroom.
---
#7SlaynPosted 12/10/2013 7:53:15 PM
silvergokuZ posted...
Kokuei05 posted...

I didnt mean I was going crazy or anything I just was worried that if he does demanding tasks a lot which made it close to load it would have a much higher risk than a more powerful cpu with a lot of headroom.

CALM DOWN TAKE IT EASY!

It's OK! calm down! Stop acting crazy!

550w is PLENTY fine! You will be OK I repeat O-K!

Just calm down! Please.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#8wizardmonPosted 12/10/2013 7:55:08 PM
Slayn posted...
silvergokuZ posted...
Kokuei05 posted...

CALM DOWN TAKE IT EASY!
It's OK! calm down! Stop acting crazy!
550w is PLENTY fine! You will be OK I repeat O-K!
Just calm down! Please.

Watch out! He's freaking out!
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#9ShubPosted 12/10/2013 8:01:55 PM
silvergokuZ posted...
Kokuei05 posted...

No, there's nothing you could do to the system you described that would push a good 550W unit past its limits. And if it's a good 550W and you did push it past its limits, the worst that would happen is that the PSU would shut down automatically. Then you restart your computer and move on.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.