This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Blood source port?

#1GTL581Posted 12/10/2013 10:04:35 AM
after playing through other old 90s fps games (doom, quake, hexxen, heretic, duke 3d, etc.) with a source port, i just couldn't bring myself to play through blood without one, even though i've heard it's one of the best. i haven't tried playing it since i got it off gog due to there being no source ports because the source code hadn't been released to the public at the time. has this changed? i would really love fire it up and play through the damned thing, but the controls... i just can't do them... especially after playing duke3d, which used the same engine, because its source port just makes the original gameplay seem really dull and dated. for me at least, unfortunately.
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#2jake-sfPosted 12/10/2013 10:15:39 AM(edited)
No, Blood has no source port.

However, your first complaint is controls. That makes little sense, since Blood has mouse support and you can configure it any way you want. You need to do a bit of tinkering though, and yes, doing that sucks. You need to get BMOUSE.EXE to get a good mouse feel, and set that up with DosBox.

Its annoying to set up, but worth it. I also even prefer Shadow Warrior in DosBox this way than with its absolutely horrid source ports.

Its not like the game doesn't allow WASD and mouse control. Biggest drawback is resolution, Blood can be set to higher resolution but it gets laggy. 800x600 worked fine for me, though. (the game is quite CPU demanding thanks to Dos emulation, so if you have a laptop, you might need to forget about running it at that res)

I do hope for a source port, its more likely that the reverse engineered Blood port or whatever its called would come out first (and thats not anytime soon). It seems like we might just never get the source, ever.

Really though, I was annoyed in a similar way by Blood but I sure as hell don't regret setting it up. I still go back to it and play it every now and then, its really, really good.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#3GTL581(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 10:22:19 AM
The only problem i have with setting the mouse up is that since the game isn't true 3d, vertical aiming causes everything to look stretched or warped, something that the duke port fixed and made it play flawlessly with modern controls. Though i guess it'll have to do for now. What exactly does bmouse do?
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#4jake-sfPosted 12/10/2013 2:19:28 PM
Blood and Shadow Warrior have a problem where you can't move your mouse vertically and horizontally at the same time. Yes, thats ridiculously stupid. BMouse just fixes that.

Its true that things look warped looking up or down, but only if you look up/down a a lot. Then with source ports, looking at sprites from above or under also looks really bad, so its really never perfect. I do prefer that, but I never found it to be annoying in practice, really. As long as my mouse isn't locked horizontally, it plays just fine.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/