This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which RPG?

#1motorheadachePosted 12/10/2013 10:17:56 AM
I want to play a new RPG and can't decide. When I say new, Iran new to me - the contenders are pretty old

FFVIII - recently picked up 7 in the steam sale and quite enjoying it, but I played it to death back in the day, made me think I should try 8 as my original playstation wouldn't play it... But at 10 it's quite expensive for an old game.

The witcher - I own this game but haven't actually played it. I hear it has a great storyline and character development, but lacks in combat and voice acting.

Dragon Age Origins - again a game I own, when I first played this I hated the combat style but maybe if I could get past that there'd be a great game underneath?

Two Worlds/two worlds 2 - 80% off on steam right now. Looks like there's a lot of customisation available. Really don't know too much about this one?

I'm open to other suggestions too. Any rpg fans out there with suggestions?

Thanks.
#2chris121691Posted 12/10/2013 10:23:39 AM
The Witcher 2?
#3SpazH3dPosted 12/10/2013 10:31:13 AM
Deus Ex 1.
---
- My vision is augmented
#4AlexTheNextOnePosted 12/10/2013 10:36:40 AM
SpazH3d posted...
Deus Ex 1.

Someone's reinstalling it now, I'm sure. After all....
---
PSN: AlexTheNextOne
Dragon's Crown - Garett, Lv60 Fighter, Nahlya, Lv49 Sorceress, Dymnur, Lv26 Dwarf
#5Nineteen99Posted 12/10/2013 10:50:23 AM
Definitely try DA:O again. I love that game, and have hundreds of hours clocked in it.
---
"There must be some kind of way out of here, said the joker to the thief. There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief."
#6MahoganyTooth92Posted 12/10/2013 10:52:35 AM
I'd recommend The Last Remnant a hell of a lot.
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
#7motorheadache(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 11:30:25 AM
The witcher 2 - I honestly don't think I'd go for this one, I know it's supposed to be better than the first witcher, but give that I already have the first one I'd probably start there.

The last remnant - very strong contender as I'm enjoying FF7 at the min. I get put off by a lot if jrpgs because they're in a manga style.
#8Relentless639Posted 12/10/2013 12:42:04 PM
FF8 has an academic/military presence in the game. The writing in dialogues is much better than FF7 and the background detail aged well (the resolution is painly low though).
I kinda like the gameplay and system, and you can get something that will prevent random battles early on, making this game a breeze to play.

The Witcher is good, but it's mostly story driven - dark and adult type of plot. IDK where you heard it has bad VA, it seemed really good to me. The combat is indeed very weak though the sword "dance" is animations are great to watch. You just click one to attack, wait for an icon to appear, click again, and you continue chaining your offense.
If you select higher difficulties, you will need to use the alchemy aspect this game has.

Didn't play the others.
#9dekouPosted 12/10/2013 1:03:14 PM
The Witcher is the best of these IMO. It's hard to recommend anything else without knowing what you've played, because there's a lot of good RPGs. Torment and Gothic 2: Night of the Raven are my favorites.
#10StormKMDPosted 12/10/2013 1:04:29 PM
MahoganyTooth92 posted...
I'd recommend The Last Remnant a hell of a lot.

Eww, no, don't play this TC. It should be burned.
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/StormKMD