This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which RPG?

#11MahoganyTooth92Posted 12/10/2013 1:17:03 PM(edited)
StormKMD posted...
MahoganyTooth92 posted...
I'd recommend The Last Remnant a hell of a lot.

Eww, no, don't play this TC. It should be burned.

At least say "Personally I didn't like this" instead of "This game is landfill quality"
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
#12Ness0123456789Posted 12/10/2013 1:49:27 PM
It's not on your list, so I'll mention them now if you haven't played them:

Get the Ys Series, starting with Origins, and play them. All of them. From Ys Origins clear up to Ys Seven. They are one of the best action RPG's available, and everyone should play them. With the recent release of the Ys V translation too, the entire series can finally be played from start to finish in English.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#13MahoganyTooth92Posted 12/10/2013 1:53:11 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...

Get the Ys Series, starting with Origins, and play them. All of them. From Ys Origins clear up to Ys Seven. They are one of the best action RPG's available, and everyone should play them. With the recent release of the Ys V translation too, the entire series can finally be played from start to finish in English.

What sort of action-RPG? Diablo-style, or more of a Kingdom Hearts-style?
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
#14Ness0123456789Posted 12/10/2013 1:54:46 PM
MahoganyTooth92 posted...
Ness0123456789 posted...

What sort of action-RPG? Diablo-style, or more of a Kingdom Hearts-style?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-MDxwC6m5I

this will do a much better job of explaining Ys than words can.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#15Relentless639Posted 12/10/2013 2:00:05 PM
Ys Origins/OiF are very basic and cliché on plot. And it doesn't possess a good number of attacks. The weapons are basically: upgrade to the next that has best stats, no reason to use the obsolete ones again.
The world/questing is linear as hell.
BUT, the actual combat is quite frantic.
Origins spices things up a bit with 2 extra characters. And the games run on toasters.
#16luigi33Posted 12/10/2013 2:04:47 PM
SpazH3d posted...
Deus Ex 1.

---
Specs: [Intel i5 3570k] [16GB DDR3] [GA-Z77X-UD3H]
[CM Hyper 212+] [GTX 560ti]
Steam ID: xcyper33
#17Ness0123456789Posted 12/10/2013 2:07:03 PM
Relentless639 posted...
Ys Origins/OiF are very basic and cliché on plot. And it doesn't possess a good number of attacks. The weapons are basically: upgrade to the next that has best stats, no reason to use the obsolete ones again.
The world/questing is linear as hell.

You do realize this sums up JRPGs as a whole, right? The thing that sets Ys apart is that its' storyline is interconnected, and while individually the story may seem cliched, as an actual over arching plot, the story is actually rather complicated and complex.

Ys isn't a game with a story you can base simply on a single title. And as for linear questing...

Again: JRPG, meet Relentless. Relentess, JRPGs.
---
-Michea, FFXI
#18Relentless639Posted 12/10/2013 2:13:10 PM
Look, the plot of each game and the dialogue is pretty basic. Everything together, even if it's interconected won't suddenly shine because each arch is bland.
It's not because it's a jRPG. Ness, meet Vagrant Story, DDS, Nocturne, TWEwY, etc... and vice versa.
#19Ness0123456789Posted 12/10/2013 2:19:26 PM(edited)
Relentless639 posted...
Look, the plot of each game and the dialogue is pretty basic. Everything together, even if it's interconected won't suddenly shine because each arch is bland.
It's not because it's a jRPG. Ness, meet Vagrant Story, DDS, Nocturne, TWEwY, etc... and vice versa.

To each his own I suppose. I felt the way the entire Black Arc saga connected, from Ys Origins up to the actual Ark of Napishtim was well thought out, and the way you actually get fairly connected with the individual characters as they're introduced throughout the series was done in a way that kept me interested. Also, there's a single over arching Arc, that starts with Origins, continues into Ys 1 and 2, than into Ys IV, continuing into Oath of Felaghana, and concluding with Ark of Napishtim. Ys V and Seven, while both being port of the storyline, are more side stories than anything, though Ys V does directly lead into Ark of Napishtim by introducing the Pirate Gang that Adol ends up traveling with at the start of Ark.

Not to mention the world design of being an alternate 1800s ish Eastern Earth style was also rather clever as well. You can call them bland I suppose, but I can also call the World Ends with You, while being a fun as hell game to play, a fairly generic and cliched plot as well. Not to mention the dialogue in The World Ends with You.

And I also think it's kind of funny that you call Ys generic, yet like so many, praise the Shin Megami games (at-least i'm assuming you're referring to them through Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga), when they're pretty generic as it comes with shoving religious themes down your throat in, again, a very generic way.

But to each his own. Though I would like to point out that if you think Final Fantasy VIII's story line is better than VII, you clearly haven't played for more than a few hours. Because trust me, once you reach a certain scene in the game, it's going to make FFVII look like a damned work of Shakespeare.
---
-Michea, FFXI
#20Relentless639Posted 12/10/2013 2:29:58 PM
Have it your way. It looks like you're just countering what I say at this point.
The "twist" in FF8 as stupid as many may think, is explained in the game. It's very deus ex machina, but it's explained. And people blow it out of the water, as if it ruined the entire story and the rest of the story didn't matter.

And FFVII's "professional" translation is some levels lowers than my own bad English. Hurting the story by consequence.

Wether you consider the Ys games plot good or not it's up to your opinion as is mine. But Ys Origins and Oath in Felghana have straight up generic plots by themselves and generic characters and meh dialogue.
I am not trying to hurt the games. I am just making sure TC gets them for the very fun combat, not the for the story. Like I don't want to recomend him getting the Witcher for the same, but inverse reasons.