This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which RPG?

#21Ness0123456789Posted 12/10/2013 1:43:22 PM
Relentless639 posted...
Have it your way. It looks like you're just countering what I say at this point.
The "twist" in FF8 as stupid as many may think, is explained in the game. It's very deus ex machina, but it's explained. And people blow it out of the water, as if it ruined the entire story and the rest of the story didn't matter.

It's not just the Orphanage scene. It's the entire forced Love Story, the Sorceress "plot", the Time Compression nonsense, and the entire, absolute nose dive the game takes during the third disk that people dislike. And no, it is never expressly explained prior to the actual Orphanage Scene, nor is it even hinted at, about the entire cast having grown up together. It is literally thrown at you, out of the blue, in that one single cutscene. The same with the entire Edea and Time Compression nonsense.

That's the real reason that people dislike the later parts of Final Fantasy VIII. It feels as though the story writers had literally changed hands, as the story goes from being average to absolute terrible because of some ridiculous plot twists and changes that made almost no sense.

Relentless639 posted...
I am not trying to hurt the games. I am just making sure TC gets them for the very fun combat, not the for the story. Like I don't want to recomend him getting the Witcher for the same, but inverse reasons.

Which is why I told him to play them all, starting with Origins (assuming he liked the gameplay). Ys is a series that has to be played as that, a series. You can call it either a fault or merit of innovation when the games, on their own, are average, but together make for an extremely compelling, and fun, experience.

And as I said before, their plots are no more generic than most JRPGs. You're just looking at the ones you listed through Nostalgia glasses, or just a bit of fanboyism.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#22kyler45Posted 12/10/2013 1:45:05 PM
I played Two Worlds 2 and liked it quite a bit, it's a huge improvement over the first.
---
Xbox Live: Kyler45
AC:CF 0605-3418-4438 Name: Kyler Town: Larova
#23Relentless639Posted 12/10/2013 2:04:17 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...
You're just looking at the ones you listed through Nostalgia glasses, or just a bit of fanboyism.

So it has to be one or the other?
I played them all relatively recently. And I think I can remain objective to notice their faults as well.
Fact is Vagrant Story has an original plot and good writing, DDS has a lot of symbolism used right and TWEwY keeps things interesting, more interesting as it develops in a very original setup of circumstances, with very quotable characters.
You think Ys can even compete with these at all on any front?
#24bluemooglePosted 12/10/2013 2:07:39 PM
I recommend Dragon Age Origins. There's some great dialogue and storytelling in the game, the companions are interesting, and the epilogue-style ending does a great job showing how your choices affect the world.

I'm not surprised it didn't grab your attention right away. It's a bit of a throw-back to old style CRPGs, which unfortunately can make for some very, very, very boring battles, especially early on when you don't have any abilities. Each trash battle taking 1-2 minutes in an area with 50 packs... yea, that's boring as ****. Try this mod out, it makes combat and the run speed a lot more tolerable.

http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/2577/?

There are a lot of other mods that add more fun to the game (skip the fade!), but I recommend trying just the combat mod first. Plus, I think I've taunted the hypersensitive RPG purists in the crowd enough by suggesting just this mod as it is, hahaha! ;-)
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#25Majoras_pantsPosted 12/10/2013 2:48:16 PM
The Witcher and Dragon Age Origins are the best RPGs of the generation outside of Mount and Blade.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#26MaDHatPosted 12/10/2013 3:14:17 PM
DA:O has the best value as it has a ton of fan made quests to do as well.
#27motorheadache(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 10:30:04 AM
This topic's had quite a lot of attention since my last post!

I decided with The Witcher Enhanced Edition (The first one), so far im only a few hours in but if I enjoyit I'll continue on too the second one.

Given it's got quite a lot of love I'm also going to give DAO another shot at some point, I'm going to try a different class (possibly rogue) and more micromanagement as |I played a tanky sword and board characterlast time and very quickly lost interest, the story didnt really capture me early game either!