This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Doom turns 20 today...

#1Lord_VaderPosted 12/10/2013 9:45:46 AM(edited)
and I find it surprising that there is almost no coverage of this game's legacy (besides the Poll) especially since there would be no Quake, Unreal Tournament, Battlefield or CoD if Doom did not exist. Is it because people have simply forgotten or are games like Halo 1 and Call of Duty 1 just used as the threshold for what's considered "old" now?

In any case, what are your favorite Doom memories? I vividly remember the first time I played this game. I was 4 years old in late 1993 or early 1994 and we were visiting my aunt and uncle's house for the weekend. My uncle was the only person that had a computer in my family at that time because he was an accountant. I remember when my cousin, who's only 3 years older than me, showed me the game. We both sucked at the game but I was basically the one that pressed ctrl for "shoot" and he controlled the directional buttons. Even though we didn't play that much, Doom quickly became one of my favorite games and I begged my parents to get it for me.

Later that year or so my parents finally got a computer and my older brother downloaded the shareware version of Doom. I played the hell out of that and eventually we got the full game. I remember I was scared ****less by some levels like E1M4 and so I would never play the game alone or at night. I used to play the game over and over again and didn't even learn of the existence of WADS until much later. Unfortunately we never got Doom 2 for some reason but I did enjoy Doom 64 and the PlayStation version of Doom. When Doom 3 was about to be released and I was a bit older, my interest in the franchise was sparked again and I finally beat Doom 2 and Final Doom. I also finally discovered WADS and was surprised to see that many are just as good as the original games. To this day playing Doom on ZDaemon is much of the time more fun for me than playing CoD or BF online.

Anyone have any memories of playing this gem?
---
Live long and prosper.
#2StormKMDPosted 12/10/2013 9:51:11 AM
WASD*
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/StormKMD
#3mycousinvinniePosted 12/10/2013 9:53:37 AM
kids these days can't circle strafe
#4chris121691Posted 12/10/2013 9:55:14 AM
IDDQD
IDKFA
#5petran78Posted 12/10/2013 10:12:56 AM
I played that game without any music.
Just PC speaker sound fx.
still it was scary!
---
Q.You want so see some other stuff? What Console? A.Console? Q.What platform? A.Uh, Moral Turpitude?
Q.PC it is, then.
#6SzymaaPosted 12/10/2013 10:24:26 AM
petran78 posted...
I played that game without any music.
Just PC speaker sound fx.
still it was scary!

I also played DooM without the music.

A) so I could listen to my own music over it and
B) it's much creepier with no music I think.
---
~Bow chicka bow wow~
I survived ApocalyPS3 & ApocalyPS3 2: Among Thieves
#7R i c kPosted 12/10/2013 10:27:40 AM
Lord_Vader posted...
and I find it surprising that there is almost no coverage of this game's legacy (besides the Poll) especially since there would be no Quake, Unreal Tournament, Battlefield or CoD if Doom did not exist.

Lol? I can say with absolute certainty that even without Doom (which wasn't even the first raycaster FPS), games where you shoot people/aliens/robots/zombies/etc in the face in the first-person perspective would have been developed.

My memories of Doom? It was one of the first games I modded and I remember swapping out the soldier sprites with some pixel art version of myself and swapping out the soldier sounds with some lines I recorded.
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Featuring APB: Reloaded & Hearthstone! Game giveaways with each new vid!
#8El_KazPosted 12/10/2013 10:41:21 AM
R i c k posted...
I remember swapping out the soldier sprites with some pixel art version of myself and swapping out the soldier sounds with some lines I recorded.

So you played a game where you shot yourself to death over and over and over again?
Sounds twisted.
---
Wait... what?
#9MagnemightPosted 12/10/2013 11:12:15 AM
El_Kaz posted...
R i c k posted...
I remember swapping out the soldier sprites with some pixel art version of myself and swapping out the soldier sounds with some lines I recorded.

So you played a game where you shot yourself to death over and over and over again?
Sounds twisted.

ooh, in which part of Doom did you fight other soldiers?

I didn't get to that part
---
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against the Shy Guys!
Download the demo (offsite): http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=29243
#10InterfusorPosted 12/10/2013 11:26:56 AM
Magnemight posted...
El_Kaz posted...
R i c k posted...

Sounds twisted.

ooh, in which part of Doom did you fight other soldiers?

I didn't get to that part

I think he means the regular grunt enemies.

Happy 20th Doom!
---
I am not economically viable.