This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Doom turns 20 today...

#21Worknofun370Posted 12/10/2013 3:08:06 PM
Lord_Vader posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
JKatarn posted...
R i c k posted...
Lord_Vader posted...
and I find it surprising that there is almost no coverage of this game's legacy (besides the Poll) especially since there would be no Quake, Unreal Tournament, Battlefield or CoD if Doom did not exist.

Lol? I can say with absolute certainty that even without Doom (which wasn't even the first raycaster FPS), games where you shoot people/aliens/robots/zombies/etc in the face in the first-person perspective would have been developed.

My memories of Doom? It was one of the first games I modded and I remember swapping out the soldier sprites with some pixel art version of myself and swapping out the soldier sounds with some lines I recorded.

Right, because your alternate reality machine allows you to come to this conclusion?

Logic will lead people to that conclusion. Sure, the games of today may be different if Doom didn't exist, but the belief that there would be no FPS is pretty freaking illogical considering Doom wasn't the first FPS ever.

It was the father of FPSes though. I never said that we would not have any FPS games if Doom didn't exist but the genre would be drastically different than what we see today. In fact, we might not even have recognized such games as FPSes if Doom didn't exist.

I can see the genre being slightly different. But certainly not drastically... I mean, there are practically zero FPSes today that follow Dooms model, and they haven't for years.

I would make the argument (Probably biased) that games like Half-Life have had a far bigger impact on the FPS world than Doom.

Now, don't get me wrong, Doom is the **** and is an amazing game that was a ton of fun. I simply do not agree with the thought that it was the keystone of FPS
#22r0xm2nPosted 12/10/2013 3:11:45 PM
Those were the days. I absolutely loved causing the monsters to infight. I'd just run through them, then back out the room to safety. Then I'd just sit there and hear the monsters beat each other up.
I was in awe of the Cyberdemon's ability to just blow apart all the other monsters, then still keep coming after me.
---
This has been another (probably) uselessly informative post, by me. Booyah!
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrEvilbyte
#23ThescyyPosted 12/10/2013 3:13:30 PM
StormKMD posted...
WASD*

No, WADS.

Google doom wads.
---
i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 2133mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 | Fractal design R4
#24The cranky hermitPosted 12/10/2013 3:30:26 PM(edited)
I can see the genre being slightly different. But certainly not drastically... I mean, there are practically zero FPSes today that follow Dooms model, and they haven't for years.
I would make the argument (Probably biased) that games like Half-Life have had a far bigger impact on the FPS world than Doom.

Half-Life is the MRCA of all FPS's today... but without Doom, there would be no Quake, and no Half-Life. If you look at Doom in terms of map structure (think BSP, sectors, that stuff), there are practically zero FPS's today that DON'T follow that model, or a model directly derived from it. Nothing else at the time of Doom's development came close to its level of map sophistication. I'd say the closest for awhile were the early Build engine and System Shock, and even those were rather primitive and crude in comparison.

Doom also brought us Deathmatch. Everything in multiplayer FPS's to this day follows.

So it seems to me the genre would be drastically different without Doom, if it even made it out of the 90's!
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#25Doomsday FortePosted 12/10/2013 4:52:31 PM
So in honor of today's event, allow me to say,

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(ed)
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.