This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking to find a specific type of game...

#1nicoga3000Posted 12/10/2013 6:51:05 PM
Recently, I decided to try out that Neverwinter MMO on Steam. It's not as terrible as I expected; I am enjoying it in my spare time. I'm really enjoying the more active combat and the sense of exploration - lots of neat mini dungeons and such all over the place, and the foundry is a really cool concept. The grind, as tedious as it MAY get, is still something I enjoy. I can play and experience the game at a pace that works with my schedule. There IS a lot of pay-to-win available, but it seems like I could make due without it.

That being said, I also found that I enjoyed TERA for a bit and played Guild Wars 2 a LOT when it dropped. My issues with TERA were mostly due to the grindy nature of everything. GW2 was fun, but after hitting max level, there isn't too much to do for progression sake. I like that I wasn't always trying to catch-up to the top tier players, but at the same time, I was a bit bored with grinding dungeons for tokens to change my appearance. It just sort of lost itself. Oh, and I don't really enjoy the PvP.

So I was wondering if there exists a game similar to the more "action oriented" MMO's out there that is a single-player game. I love the huge worlds with fun content all over (and having difficult encounters to go at always keeps things fun and interesting). I think I'm looking for a nice blend between something like Skyrim and Diablo. Dragon's Dogma for PS3 was pretty close to what I'm thinking, but I don't really use my PS3 anymore (and to be honest, I don't really want to play on there).

I appreciate any thoughts/suggestions/ideas!
---
PM me for PSN ID or Game Center on iOS
#2ChromaticAngelPosted 12/10/2013 6:52:59 PM
try Kingdoms of Amalur or Divinity II: Developer's Cut
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#3RequiemPosted 12/10/2013 6:54:32 PM
You could try the Gothic series.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#4nicoga3000(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 7:03:08 PM
@ChromaticAngel - I have NEVER heard of Divinity. I just checked it out on Steam and it looks really neat. Amalur looked awesome, but when I heard the studio was shut down, I got a bit bummed. Are there community patches to fix bugs and such that went unfixed?

And between the two, do they both offer a decent chunk of extra stuff to do and explore? I always think of something like Star Ocean 2 and the whole Cave of Trials thing. I really loved having that to take on and try and finish.

@Requiem - I've heard of the Gothic series, but I know nothing about it. I'll hop on YouTube and check it out a bit. Thanks!
---
PM me for PSN ID or Game Center on iOS
#5ChromaticAngelPosted 12/10/2013 7:38:29 PM
nicoga3000 posted...
@ChromaticAngel - I have NEVER heard of Divinity. I just checked it out on Steam and it looks really neat. Amalur looked awesome, but when I heard the studio was shut down, I got a bit bummed. Are there community patches to fix bugs and such that went unfixed?

And between the two, do they both offer a decent chunk of extra stuff to do and explore? I always think of something like Star Ocean 2 and the whole Cave of Trials thing. I really loved having that to take on and try and finish.

regarding Amalur bugs: The bad news: No there are no community mods of any kind that do not make things worse more than they make things better. The good news: the game has very few bugs vanilla and you probably won't need to fix anything.

Kingdoms of Amalur has more stuff to do than Divinity 2, but Divinity 2 comes with a developer's console that you can use to mess around with after you have finished the game (or before, if that's your thing). you can also use it to cheat. Amalur doesn't have a console.

Also, if you really want an authentic single player action MMO experience, try The Witcher 1.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.