This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is, in your opinion, the worst fictional world in videogames?

#11Ikari GendoPosted 12/11/2013 1:52:08 PM
From my understanding, warhammer 40k is the kind of universe where genocidal religious zealots are the heroes.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#12CM_MojicaPosted 12/11/2013 1:54:17 PM
pothocket posted...
I'll agree with Metal Gear. WTF is wrong with that world? Oh no, mobile nuclear launch platforms?! Yeah, we have those in real life. They're called submarines.

So at its core it's a stupid concept, but apparently that wasn't stupid enough so this is a world where having an arm transplant can cause you to become possessed by the owner of the original arm, a world of vampires who's only weakness is 'hard water', and fat men in bomb suits flying around on roller blades....seriously...WTF. This is supposed to be military espionage action.

It was always meant to be a comic before ok type world.

Realism is stupid.
---
Hunter1534
#13pothocketPosted 12/11/2013 1:56:34 PM
Ikari Gendo posted...
From my understanding, warhammer 40k is the kind of universe where genocidal religious zealots are the heroes.

You're dangerously close to having your gamer card forcibly removed and cut up.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#14SzymaaPosted 12/11/2013 1:56:52 PM
therickmu25 posted...
FFXIII

*dodges fanboy spears*

No need to dodge. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE knows FF13 was an unqualified piece of ****.
---
~Bow chicka bow wow~
I survived ApocalyPS3 & ApocalyPS3 2: Among Thieves
#15MonkeymagePosted 12/11/2013 1:59:09 PM
AlleRacing posted...
Ferelden from Dragon Age.

Why didn't you like it? I liked all the lore. DA2 might have mucked things up but I thought everything in the original game and its expansion was pretty solid.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#16SinisterSlayPosted 12/11/2013 2:03:45 PM(edited)
Worst is a tough choice.
I'd have to say Expel from Star Ocean 2.
The world is basically f****d and actually does get destroyed in the end.
FF6 world of ruin takes a solid second place as being a desolate post apocalyptic wasteland.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#17El_KazPosted 12/11/2013 2:03:37 PM
Most Japanese games (and manga/anime too, for that matter) are focused on the story itself, and the "Universes"/settings tend to be somewhat unimportant backdrops that are only cohesive enough to support the story.
So yeah, if you take a step back and look at these settings, they tend to be pretty weak. Especially in long-running series where they keep piling on more and more diverging stories on the same setting until it essentially collapses under its own weight (see: DBZ, Metal Gear, the complete joke that is the "Zelda Timeline", etc).
Of course there are always exceptions. The Suikoden Universe was pretty sweet.
---
Wait... what?
#18biohazard1775Posted 12/11/2013 2:06:42 PM
Resident Evil at this point has become really stupid.
---
http://i.imgur.com/nrx65Pw.jpg
We should take away their metal boxes!
#19pothocketPosted 12/11/2013 2:07:17 PM
El_Kaz posted...

So yeah, if you take a step back and look at these settings, they tend to be pretty weak. Especially in long-running series where they keep piling on more and more diverging stories on the same setting until it essentially collapses under its own weight (see: DBZ, Metal Gear, the complete joke that is the "Zelda Timeline", etc).

Good point. I hate seeing fans trying to make sense of the Zelda universe with some unified theory. It's like "you know you just put more thought into the setting than the developer ever did, right?"
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#20arleasPosted 12/11/2013 2:07:47 PM
I didn't much care for Dragon Age as a whole... not sure if it was the whole world it was set in or if it was just the "A dark evil approaches from the depths of hell and you must fight it back" cliche storyline.

I also didn't care much for the world of Deus Ex: Human Revolution... Maybe that had something to do with the yellow glare on everything (and yes, I know there was a mod to remove that).

What was the worst? That's really hard to say... You don't have to work very hard to make a turd, so the list of potential award winners would be pretty crowded. Example: a cheap ass game I got 90% off (Basically it cost me $1) called "Pressure", where all the vehicles are run off of water pressure and the evil corporation is draining the water from everywhere else on the planet and only you (points to player) can save everyone by driving your water powered car and racing against the bad guys...

Yeah, that world sucks. Is it the worst? Maybe (sniff) maybe...but again, it's hard to judge when the potential list is so full. I'll just say that DA:O's world was just too cliche and leave it at that. If it makes some DA Fanboy rage, then oh well...
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg