This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Losing video after I install my drivers. Any help or suggestions?

#1Forte612Posted 12/11/2013 6:03:25 AM
Hey guys,

I helped a friend build his first rig last night, having built mine a couple years ago. It all went swimmingly, until we went to update the Radeon Catalyst drivers. Every time, we download the drivers, reset the computer, then once it gets to the spot where the Windows interface would normally pop up with the login screen, instead we lose the signal. Not just a black screen, like the "HDMI 1" logo shows up as if nothing is plugged in. It's very frustrating. We can restart, enter safe mode, and uninstall the drivers, and then it will boot up fine again.

-HD Radeon 5770 (the card's a couple years old, but a free handmedown and has always worked reliably for me)
-ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 mobo
-ATI 8-core processor (I don't know the exact model off the top of my head)
-600W psu
-Windows 7 (64 bit)
-8GB RAM

Another curious thing, though I'm not sure if this is related -- I can't seem to access the BIOS screen. Whenever I hit the button on bootup, it goes to a black screen. Not the lost signal like above, but just a black screen until we restart.

Any feedback on solutions or next steps on either problem? Thanks so much.
---
-JohnnyShred612
#2Forte612(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 7:38:40 AM
plz send help
---
-JohnnyShred612
#3Forte612(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 7:46:21 AM
Also, I meant AMD processor, obviously. Sorry
---
-JohnnyShred612
#4SnadadosPosted 12/11/2013 8:06:41 AM
Since you have your own PC I'd try using the GPU from your PC in your friend's PC.

Not being able to enter the bios is troublesome.
Clear the cmos on the mobo by removing the watch battery found on the mobo for a few minutes.

If that fails I'd take out everything but the bear minimum needed to run the PC (PSU, CPU, yours or his GPU and a single stick of RAM) and see if you can get to the bios with that.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#5Forte612(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 8:46:47 AM
I'll try that. The thing is, I'm not sure if it's something as simple as the GPU he has being outdated and needing older drivers or something. I don't know if that's actually a thing, but still. I'll also try installing the drivers from the disc that came with that GPU instead of downloading them.

As for the BIOS, yeah, that's bothering me. I've never seen that on mine. When you say remove everything, do you mean just stuff like the SATA connections, or everything including the LED plugs and all?
---
-JohnnyShred612
#6Forte612(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 11:23:11 AM
Bump for more thoughts
---
-JohnnyShred612
#7SnadadosPosted 12/11/2013 11:27:40 AM
Forte612 posted...
I'll try that. The thing is, I'm not sure if it's something as simple as the GPU he has being outdated and needing older drivers or something. I don't know if that's actually a thing, but still. I'll also try installing the drivers from the disc that came with that GPU instead of downloading them.

As for the BIOS, yeah, that's bothering me. I've never seen that on mine. When you say remove everything, do you mean just stuff like the SATA connections, or everything including the LED plugs and all?

Yeah, I'd disconnect the SATA cables for the HDD and disc drive as you shouldn't need those to get to the bois.
The power and reset cables and such that go from the case to the mobo should be fine to leave connected.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#8Forte612(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 11:59:04 AM
Snadados posted...
Forte612 posted...

Yeah, I'd disconnect the SATA cables for the HDD and disc drive as you shouldn't need those to get to the bois.
The power and reset cables and such that go from the case to the mobo should be fine to leave connected.

Alright, I'll head over to his place in a little bit and we'll see what's up.
---
-JohnnyShred612
#9Forte612(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 12:38:26 PM
I found something in a google search that could possibly explain both...

One guy was having the issue with the "no display" after installing drivers because his motherboard has the IGP turned on. He turned it off by -- dun dun dunnnnnnn -- going to the BIOS.

Another guy was having the issue with the black screen on the BIOS. Turned out the ones that came in his motherboard were jank, so he updated the BIOS online and updated them that way and then it worked fine.

So, when I head over, we'll try the second solution to see if it fixes the first.
---
-JohnnyShred612
#10Forte612(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 7:08:25 PM
About to head over and try the above. Any additional feedback would be great!
---
-JohnnyShred612