This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Well thats the end of gameplay videos on youtube

#81Abiz_Posted 12/13/2013 1:55:15 PM
Knifegash posted...
Why is everyone up in arms and talking about things disappearing? I didn't pour over every single article about it, but from what I could gather, all this is going to do is make it so you cannot make money from straight gameplay, and if a video is monetized, the ID system will tag it and redirect funds to the content creator instead. Existing game videos won't go away, and future one's won't be stopped, just that the people recording their face next to a video game as their career have to make it for fun and do something else with their time to make money.

Why should someone put all the effort into making a video, building a fanbase that trust them, and not get paid. Hell, screw reviewers/media of all types. GAMESPOT start sending your ad revenue to the game creators. It's their content you are basing your website around. You too IGN.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#82BkongoPosted 12/13/2013 2:03:20 PM
Lots of games companies are trying to address the complaints since they know a ton of fans watch them. It'll sort itself out in the long run.
#83Bigj089Posted 12/13/2013 2:22:49 PM
Knifegash posted...
Why is everyone up in arms and talking about things disappearing? I didn't pour over every single article about it, but from what I could gather, all this is going to do is make it so you cannot make money from straight gameplay, and if a video is monetized, the ID system will tag it and redirect funds to the content creator instead. Existing game videos won't go away, and future one's won't be stopped, just that the people recording their face next to a video game as their career have to make it for fun and do something else with their time to make money.

It's not just going to mess with straight gameplay though, it can be 10-20 seconds of a clip from a game and 10-20 minutes of a persons own time and work and it will flag it for those few seconds and send everything to the company that owns the copyright. I think TB had something like this happen recently where he showed a clip from one of the new Pokemon games for a couple minutes on a 3 hour podcast and lost revenue for the entire thing because of it. It's even flagging people for things they have the right to use, such as if they bought the right to use it or asked and were given permission, ect.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#84Combo MasterPosted 12/13/2013 2:28:11 PM
I really hope this isn't the case. It sounds like lets players cannot just make money from ads they would play on content id claimed videos. Seems like videos won't be deleted and would only affect people who are only doing them to make money.
---
Combo Master
#85R i c kPosted 12/13/2013 2:41:30 PM
Bkongo posted...
Lots of games companies are trying to address the complaints since they know a ton of fans watch them. It'll sort itself out in the long run.

Yes, this is the only good to come out of this fiasco. A lot of prominent devs/pubs came straight out and said "this isn't something we want". I can understand content claims for licensed music in a game being used in a LP since that music wasn't made for the game and was licensed with very specific usage in mind but anything else within the game should be able to be showed as part of an LP without any sort of copyright claim.
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Featuring APB: Reloaded & Hearthstone! Game giveaways with each new vid!
#86shdwdrgnixPosted 12/17/2013 12:27:34 PM
Knifegash posted...

I'm kinda glad I only do playthroughs for fun and not for money, so this really doesn't affect me that much. Unlike most I still have a job that pays for everything I need and youtube is only a fun hobby that I do on my free time.