This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

80" PC monitor anyone?

#1therickmu25Posted 12/11/2013 7:32:43 AM
At 1920x1080 : /
Still would look pretty impressive on the wall.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nec-v801-80-inch-display-review,3673.html
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/9Ho6VA1.jpg
#2animanganimePosted 12/11/2013 7:54:08 AM
80" TVs have been around for a while, usually cost around $3000 and have way worse image quality than smaller counterparts. NEC is known for good image quality so I expect more from this. It will be hard for me to see this in person though, since Bestbuy and Costco don't carry NEC.
---
WC i5 2500k @ 4.4 ghz, 2x GTX 670 DirectCU II, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16GB G.Skill 1600 DDR3, Zalman 1000W PSU, Cosmos 1000 Case, HP LP3065 @ 2560 x 1600 IPS
#3OreoBoy206Posted 12/11/2013 8:23:14 AM
It uses a UV2A panel which is Sharp Electronics evolution of the VA panel... You don't see that used too often...
#4Kokuei05Posted 12/11/2013 8:23:56 AM
IMO PC's need a lower sized monitor with higher pixel density.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u155ncSlkCk
#5Fade2black001Posted 12/11/2013 8:31:33 AM
I would never play games on a TV. Monitors will always be superior in this regard.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#6overkillwfo1978Posted 12/11/2013 8:46:21 AM
I want a 65" 1440p for the living room.

80" is much too big for 1080p. You can start to see pixelation at around 60-65" at normal viewing distance.
---
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten" -George Carlin
#7overkillwfo1978Posted 12/11/2013 8:50:22 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
I would never play games on a TV. Monitors will always be superior in this regard.

Maybe in regards to pixel density, yes... but I have a desktop and living room gaming setup, both 1080p and 90% of my gaming is done in the living room 1080p LED. Big screen immersion ftw. I can max out games on both sets and the small, 27" monitor just doesn't cut it for true immersion and cinematic feel imo. Also, I rarely play multiplayer games, so the pinpoint twitch accuracy of kb/m means absolutely nothing to me. Gaming at a desk is just less immersive and not comfortable.
---
#8Fade2black001Posted 12/11/2013 11:39:34 AM
overkillwfo1978 posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

Maybe in regards to pixel density, yes... but I have a desktop and living room gaming setup, both 1080p and 90% of my gaming is done in the living room 1080p LED. Big screen immersion ftw. I can max out games on both sets and the small, 27" monitor just doesn't cut it for true immersion and cinematic feel imo. Also, I rarely play multiplayer games, so the pinpoint twitch accuracy of kb/m means absolutely nothing to me. Gaming at a desk is just less immersive and not comfortable.

What about input lag?
---
#9overkillwfo1978Posted 12/11/2013 12:02:47 PM(edited)
Fade2black001 posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

What about input lag?

I notice none, at all, whatsoever... and keep in mind, I have both setups and game on both. The input lag is exactly the same on my Samsung 27" LED monitor as my Insignia 55" LED HDTV. Non-existent or low enough that I can't notice it at all on either set.

I mainly use my desktop rig for RTS and Diablo style games where kb/m is necessary, for all others I use the living room rig. It also helps that I have a 700 watt 6.1 Infinity surround system in my living room.... and with 2-4X AA and all other filters on, it takes away most of the "jagginess" that would normally come with gaming on a bigger screen.

I've even tried 1440p on a friends setup. I like big screen couch gaming much, much more than even that setup. I just can't do small screens, and multiple monitors suck also because of bezels and you are still stuck in a computer chair instead of a nice, comfortable couch. When 4k becomes affordable, I will build a new rig around a 60" 4k set and that will be the next step up..
---
#10Fade2black001Posted 12/11/2013 12:30:17 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

What about input lag?

I notice none, at all, whatsoever... and keep in mind, I have both setups and game on both. The input lag is exactly the same on my Samsung 27" LED monitor as my Insignia 55" LED HDTV. Non-existent or low enough that I can't notice it at all on either set.

I mainly use my desktop rig for RTS and Diablo style games where kb/m is necessary, for all others I use the living room rig. It also helps that I have a 700 watt 6.1 Infinity surround system in my living room.... and with 2-4X AA and all other filters on, it takes away most of the "jagginess" that would normally come with gaming on a bigger screen.

I've even tried 1440p on a friends setup. I like big screen couch gaming much, much more than even that setup. I just can't do small screens, and multiple monitors suck also because of bezels and you are still stuck in a computer chair instead of a nice, comfortable couch. When 4k becomes affordable, I will build a new rig around a 60" 4k set and that will be the next step up..

What about FPS games?
---