This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

80" PC monitor anyone?

#11animanganimePosted 12/11/2013 2:30:43 PM
I play controller-friendly-games on my 55" LED Sony all the time, due to lower pixel density things that are further away is a bit more difficult to see but for racing, platformers, action games I find it more enjoyable than my monitor (and my monitor is not exactly small). FPS on the other hand is a pain for me since target can be hard to see, and you would still need a surface for the mouse and keyboard to be on, quite inconvenient so I just skip that all together and play FPS on my desktop.
---
WC i5 2500k @ 4.4 ghz, 2x GTX 670 DirectCU II, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16GB G.Skill 1600 DDR3, Zalman 1000W PSU, Cosmos 1000 Case, HP LP3065 @ 2560 x 1600 IPS
#12overkillwfo1978Posted 12/12/2013 1:10:21 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
overkillwfo1978 posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
overkillwfo1978 posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
I would never play games on a TV. Monitors will always be superior in this regard.

Maybe in regards to pixel density, yes... but I have a desktop and living room gaming setup, both 1080p and 90% of my gaming is done in the living room 1080p LED. Big screen immersion ftw. I can max out games on both sets and the small, 27" monitor just doesn't cut it for true immersion and cinematic feel imo. Also, I rarely play multiplayer games, so the pinpoint twitch accuracy of kb/m means absolutely nothing to me. Gaming at a desk is just less immersive and not comfortable.

What about input lag?

I notice none, at all, whatsoever... and keep in mind, I have both setups and game on both. The input lag is exactly the same on my Samsung 27" LED monitor as my Insignia 55" LED HDTV. Non-existent or low enough that I can't notice it at all on either set.

I mainly use my desktop rig for RTS and Diablo style games where kb/m is necessary, for all others I use the living room rig. It also helps that I have a 700 watt 6.1 Infinity surround system in my living room.... and with 2-4X AA and all other filters on, it takes away most of the "jagginess" that would normally come with gaming on a bigger screen.

I've even tried 1440p on a friends setup. I like big screen couch gaming much, much more than even that setup. I just can't do small screens, and multiple monitors suck also because of bezels and you are still stuck in a computer chair instead of a nice, comfortable couch. When 4k becomes affordable, I will build a new rig around a 60" 4k set and that will be the next step up..

What about FPS games?

I play them just fine with a controller, and I don't play competitive online, so, as I said... it doesn't bother me. I do play a few older fps games on my desktop w/ kb/m once in awhile, but, for the most part, it's all about that big screen-living room-theater style gaming immersion that you just can't get sitting in a computer chair staring at a 27" monitor.
---
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten" -George Carlin
#13SuperShadowAcePosted 12/12/2013 1:13:22 PM
The PPI on that would be terrible.
---
http://ofnoobsandmen.com/ <----Good comic
Game contact information in profile.
#14overkillwfo1978Posted 12/12/2013 1:27:58 PM(edited)
SuperShadowAce posted...
The PPI on that would be terrible.

Funny, that even with that being the case, the actual experience is 10X better. Go figure. I had a friend that was so impressed with seeing Crysis 3 running at near max settings in my living room, that he built a second rig just so he could hook it up to his living room and have the choice to game in that fashion.
---
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten" -George Carlin