This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is my rig complete?

#1xyntekPosted 12/11/2013 9:34:39 AM
Hi guys,

So far I' ve been building a Desktop. It took me almost a year (building a pc is expensive) using deals. These are my specs:

1) MainBoard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 ATX DDR3 2400 LGA 1155 Motherboard
2) RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
3) CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 processor 3.4 4 LGA 1155 BX80637I73770
4) HDD: WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX
5) GPU: NVIDIA GTX 480
6) PowerUnit: 700 watts
7) Case: Gaming Case with 4 air units
8) DVD-RW +-
9) OS: Windows 7 home premium

So far everything is running smooth, but I have some frame rates while playing Mass Effect. Can It be the HDMI Cable? Also, I'm using VIZIO M420NV 42-inch Class Edge Lit Razor LED LCD HDTV as monitor. Did I have to update the GPU soon? I got this one free at NVIDIA's GTC conference.
---
PSN: Xyntek | Xbox Live: Xyntek01
#2StormKMDPosted 12/11/2013 9:37:44 AM
Mass Effect has always had issues with frame rates. That setup could run it, I'm sure. Look up some fixes, and also try other games.
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/StormKMD
#3Fade2black001Posted 12/11/2013 9:38:15 AM
PSU is overkill for it. GPU is really out of date. Other than that its complete.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#4xyntek(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 9:42:13 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
PSU is overkill for it. GPU is really out of date. Other than that its complete.

By PSU you meen powerunit? Is that fine, or I need another one higher? About the GPU I was thinking on getting a 700 family with tax return.
---
#5MonkeymagePosted 12/11/2013 9:47:38 AM
Some fools call a PowerUnit a PSU, I don't know what their problem is. Once you get a 700 series card, you will want to upgrade to a 1000 Watt-plus PowerUnit. The golden rule is always going 300 watts higher than the model of your video card, which is why AMD cards are so unpopular.

I really like your gaming case with 4 Air Units, but you will want to upgrade to a case with at least 1 Air Apparatus. The Apparatus will move way more air.

Also I'm disappointed you went with Blue RAM. Blue runs cooler but is slower overall. You'll want to go with some nice Red RAM.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#6r0ge00Posted 12/11/2013 9:52:07 AM
Monkeymage posted...
Some fools call a PowerUnit a PSU, I don't know what their problem is. Once you get a 700 series card, you will want to upgrade to a 1000 Watt-plus PowerUnit. The golden rule is always going 300 watts higher than the model of your video card, which is why AMD cards are so unpopular.

I really like your gaming case with 4 Air Units, but you will want to upgrade to a case with at least 1 Air Apparatus. The Apparatus will move way more air.

Also I'm disappointed you went with Blue RAM. Blue runs cooler but is slower overall. You'll want to go with some nice Red RAM.

Just so you're aware TC, ignore everything in the post above.
#7Lonestar2000Posted 12/11/2013 9:53:58 AM
Try setting the affinity of Mass Effect to only 2 cores.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#8xyntek(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2013 9:13:25 AM
Monkeymage posted...

I haven't been in PC building in years, but with all respect, this is the dumbest thing I heard. Been a guy that works with GPU every day (research lab), newer GPU consume less power than older. Actually, the 480 model is the highest power consumption (Titan and 690 are two special models and consume more due to the building type), the newer series (based on Kepler) consume less. We have a rig in our lab that have an Intel Xtreme and a Tesla Kepler K20 with a Power Unit of 700 and is working fine. Yes, I have to increase the Power Unit in a future if I deside to add more peropherals, but doing my math I'm ok. Also, I went with blue because it is cheaper. RED would be the best option, but for what I want my desktop (gaming) I think BLUE is fine. If I was going to build something for High Performance Computing and research I would go with RED.

Also, I'm planning to get a SSD like 60 GB just to install windows there and leave the OS in SSD part.
---
#9BeefCastlePosted 12/12/2013 10:04:29 AM
xyntek posted...
Monkeymage posted...

I haven't been in PC building in years, but with all respect, this is the dumbest thing I heard. Been a guy that works with GPU every day (research lab), newer GPU consume less power than older. Actually, the 480 model is the highest power consumption (Titan and 690 are two special models and consume more due to the building type), the newer series (based on Kepler) consume less. We have a rig in our lab that have an Intel Xtreme and a Tesla Kepler K20 with a Power Unit of 700 and is working fine. Yes, I have to increase the Power Unit in a future if I deside to add more peropherals, but doing my math I'm ok. Also, I went with blue because it is cheaper. RED would be the best option, but for what I want my desktop (gaming) I think BLUE is fine. If I was going to build something for High Performance Computing and research I would go with RED.

Also, I'm planning to get a SSD like 60 GB just to install windows there and leave the OS in SSD part.

I don't know who's trolling who anymore.
---
I climb mountains and I'm never wrong.
#10alienated182Posted 12/12/2013 11:46:01 AM
PowerUnit wth? that even confused google..