This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Want to hardwire my PC and Xbox One internet connection...what do I need?

#1amsutton22Posted 12/11/2013 10:01:17 AM
I've always used wireless by default, but I'm getting kind of sick of it. Aside from the Cat5 cable, I'm wondering what I need?

I'm hoping it's possible to buy some sort of splitter or adapter that would make it possible to run the cable from my modem to my PC, and then just keep going from my PC to my X1. Basically, the position and set up of all 3 devices is relatively linear, and it would be really nice to get them all wired on one "circuit" (I know that's not the right term, but I don't know how else to describe it), rather than have two separate Ethernet cables coming from my modem.

Thanks for any help!
---
Don't do drugs.
#2AsellusPosted 12/11/2013 10:06:43 AM
Either a router or a switch would usually be the thing you'd want depending on whether your modem is itself a router or not (if it is you don't want another). Connect the router/switch to your modem and then your pc and x-box to the router/switch.
#3StormKMDPosted 12/11/2013 10:12:19 AM
It is very possible, it would just take some time, and also make sure that it won't get in the way of anything else. You would need a good bit of cable though. And as for splitters, I'm sure they're out there, but I'm not sure which ones are reliable, etc, etc.
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/StormKMD
#4BilliePilgrimPosted 12/11/2013 10:55:30 AM
amsutton22 posted...
I've always used wireless by default, but I'm getting kind of sick of it. Aside from the Cat5 cable, I'm wondering what I need?

A box of Cat 5e/6, RJ-45's, a crimper, and the knowledge of how to terminate if you want to make everything yourself. It's not hard, and you can get everything you need for under $40

http://www.amazon.com/Aurum-Cables-pair-CAT6-Kit/dp/B00FX4A56C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386783826&sr=8-3&keywords=cat6+kit

That 350ft will last you quite a while. 1000ft boxes of cat 5e can be found for $50-75.

If you're buying premade cables, you'll need a router and cables of the appropriate length, one for each device.

I'm hoping it's possible to buy some sort of splitter or adapter that would make it possible to run the cable from my modem to my PC, and then just keep going from my PC to my X1. Basically, the position and set up of all 3 devices is relatively linear, and it would be really nice to get them all wired on one "circuit" (I know that's not the right term, but I don't know how else to describe it), rather than have two separate Ethernet cables coming from my modem.

Thanks for any help!

This won't work. You can't have multiple LAN addresses going to the same port. The closest thing you can do is run a single line to the nearest device, hook up a router/switch there, and then run individual lines to each device. This will minimize the crowding at your primary router/modem and how far you have to run the 3 individual lines.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.4| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
http://tinyurl.com/bsdvav7
#5amsutton22(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 10:56:08 AM
Well the modem/router combo has to stay put...it can only connect to one port in our entire house because of some wiring limitation CenturyLink discovered but couldn't fix...so I'm essentially stuck with having to do Router/Modem -> PC (next closest device) -> Xbox. So I guess I'm wondering if there is something that I can plug in to the back of my PC that will let me plug in 2 cords...one going "in to" the PC, to get the internet, and one going "out of" the PC, to carry along the internet to the xbox...
---
Don't do drugs.
#6amsutton22(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 11:00:10 AM
@BilliePilgrim

I just posted before you replied...so it looks like my actual best option would be to just get a really long cable that lets me plug my router/modem in close to my PC (since It has to be plugged in to the one port in our house that can handle broadband), and then just run a cable to the xbox from there...?
---
Don't do drugs.
#7BilliePilgrimPosted 12/11/2013 11:13:04 AM(edited)
amsutton22 posted...
Well the modem/router combo has to stay put...it can only connect to one port in our entire house because of some wiring limitation CenturyLink discovered but couldn't fix...so I'm essentially stuck with having to do Router/Modem -> PC (next closest device) -> Xbox. So I guess I'm wondering if there is something that I can plug in to the back of my PC that will let me plug in 2 cords...one going "in to" the PC, to get the internet, and one going "out of" the PC, to carry along the internet to the xbox...

You should be able to connect a router to your modem, even if the modem is a combo unit. This is the simplest solution and will do what you need it to do. I can't think of a reason off the top of my head as to why you couldn't just hook up a router to your modem.

Now it is possible that your computer has 2 ethernet ports. I'm not sure of the specifics, but there ought to be a way to set things up so that your computer will provide an internet connection to a device connected through that second ethernet port.

EDIT: What I'm saying you should do is based off of the following logical map.

Wall -> cable to modem -> Modem/router combo -> cable to router -> Router -> cables to each device (1 cable per device, no daisy-chains)
---
i5 2500k @ 4.4| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
#8Dipfoot20Posted 12/11/2013 11:25:32 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Powerline-Networking/SubCategory/ID-294

With these you can have a wired connection without a ton of cables.
---
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af50/benek00/silvarockstar.gif
#9HydroCannabinolPosted 12/11/2013 11:38:24 AM
I don't see why you can't plug your Xbox into the second port on your modem. I know your modem has more than 1 Ethernet port. What your asking is making things complicated and worse in my opinion.

Buying a switch to setup near your PC to branch off to your Xbox is a waste of money.

Buying a router for this purpose is a waste of money as well.

Buying hundreds of feet of cat5 cable and crimping your own connectors on is a hilarious solution as well.

If you modem only has 1 port, however, then the cheapest way would be to buy a 4 port switch or something but that's only needed if you modem has 1 Ethernet port in which case I would call century link and get a new modem anyways because yours must be from the 90's.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#10BilliePilgrimPosted 12/11/2013 11:53:25 AM
HydroCannabinol posted...
If you modem only has 1 port, however, then the cheapest way would be to buy a 4 port switch or something but that's only needed if you modem has 1 Ethernet port in which case I would call century link and get a new modem anyways because yours must be from the 90's.

I was operating under this assumption because I've never had a modem with more than one ethernet port and everything the OP had stated made it seem like this was the case as well.
---