This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Want to hardwire my PC and Xbox One internet connection...what do I need?

#11PhilOnDezPosted 12/11/2013 12:13:57 PM(edited)
Did your IP supply you with an ArrisBelkin combo modem/router? If so, I understand you being frustrated with the wireless on it, those things are literally worthless, I can barely get devices to connect while I'm holding them literally inches from it. A tech support guy came out and didn't believe they could be that bad, lo and behold his diagnostic tool wouldn't even pick it up, we swapped it out three times with the same problem every time.

If this is the case (kind of a longshot) then just buy a cheapo Linksys wireless router (make sure it has external antennae) and disable the wireless on the old router and plug the new one into the back. If you really want to hardwire it though you can buy a switch or a non-wireless router (if they still make those lol. A wireless router with wireless disabled would work as well though if you happen to have one laying around) and run a cable from your modem to behind your pc/Xbox, then two cables from that, one to each device.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#12amsutton22(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 12:14:15 PM
[quote]You should be able to connect a router to your modem, even if the modem is a combo unit. This is the simplest solution and will do what you need it to do. I can't think of a reason off the top of my head as to why you couldn't just hook up a router to your modem.

Now it is possible that your computer has 2 ethernet ports. I'm not sure of the specifics, but there ought to be a way to set things up so that your computer will provide an internet connection to a device connected through that second ethernet port.

EDIT: What I'm saying you should do is based off of the following logical map.

Wall -> cable to modem -> Modem/router combo -> cable to router -> Router -> cables to each device (1 cable per device, no daisy-chains)[/quote]

I'm using an MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Board, which has far as I can tell has only 1 port, so that option is likely out.

I think I'm understanding this now. Basically I just need to get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704016

And wire that in to my wireless modem/router combo, and then have two lines coming from that wired router, one going in to the PC and one going in to the xbox?
---
Don't do drugs.
#13HydroCannabinolPosted 12/11/2013 12:16:41 PM
amsutton22 posted...
[quote]You should be able to connect a router to your modem, even if the modem is a combo unit. This is the simplest solution and will do what you need it to do. I can't think of a reason off the top of my head as to why you couldn't just hook up a router to your modem.

Now it is possible that your computer has 2 ethernet ports. I'm not sure of the specifics, but there ought to be a way to set things up so that your computer will provide an internet connection to a device connected through that second ethernet port.

EDIT: What I'm saying you should do is based off of the following logical map.

Wall -> cable to modem -> Modem/router combo -> cable to router -> Router -> cables to each device (1 cable per device, no daisy-chains)[/quote]

I'm using an MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Board, which has far as I can tell has only 1 port, so that option is likely out.

I think I'm understanding this now. Basically I just need to get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704016

And wire that in to my wireless modem/router combo, and then have two lines coming from that wired router, one going in to the PC and one going in to the xbox?

Yes, that's what he's saying. If you only have 1 port, get the router so you have 2 ports....

Still though how the **** do you have a router/modem combo with one Ethernet port. I almost don't believe it.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#14ShubPosted 12/11/2013 12:17:40 PM
amsutton22 posted...

Best avoid buying a router if you already have one, just buy a switch. Chances are it would work anyway so long as you connect your devices to the LAN ports and don't use the WAN port, but it's best to save yourself the trouble and get a plain old switch.
Something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704042 would do fine.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#15amsutton22(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 12:56:13 PM
@HydroCannibinol

I don't, it has more than 1 port. This topic has kind of morphed in to what I'm able to do, from me asking what I COULD do. I always knew I could plug two Ethernet cables in to the back of my modem and connect them directly to the devices I want hard-wired. I was trying to avoid doing that though, because my router has to stay in one place, which is far away from both the PC and xbox...so I was trying to get away with just one cable snaked through the house.
---
Don't do drugs.
#16ShubPosted 12/11/2013 1:13:10 PM(edited)
I think that no matter what you do, it will involve two or three cables.

If the Xbox and PC are reasonably close to one another, you could set the switch down next to one or the other (whichever is closest to the existing router), connect the switch to the router, then run cables from the switch to the PC and Xbox. That's three cables.

The other option uses two cables: since your motherboard only has one network adapter, you could buy a second one, install it, run a cable between your router and one of your PC's network adapters, then run a cable from your PC's other network adapter to the Xbox, then set up Windows to share the Internet connection to your Xbox.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#17WyzeGyePosted 12/11/2013 1:21:35 PM(edited)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7736083&SRCCODE=CANWGOOCAPLA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE&gclid=CIvZvtf-qLsCFeU5QgodVz0A7w

get a ethernet over powerline kit. you can buy a pair for anywhere between 40 and 100, and additional outlets for 20-30 bucks.

the big advantage here is that you don't have to bother snaking a cord around your house. If you choose to relocate anything, it's as easy as unplugging and plugging an extra block in. I'm not saying buy that one, i'm just giving you a link so you can see what it's all about.

I had a netgear powerline kit but threw it in with the last computer I built for somebody as I wasn't using it anymore. But the thing was awesome. I used it as a bridge between routers so I could have better Wi-Fi in my garage and smoking room though
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
http://youtu.be/AEKc-vNv_rU - updated 11/21/2013
#18ShubPosted 12/11/2013 1:24:50 PM
A Powerline kit is also a good idea.
---
-What is best in life?
#19HydroCannabinolPosted 12/11/2013 1:27:39 PM
amsutton22 posted...
@HydroCannibinol

I don't, it has more than 1 port. This topic has kind of morphed in to what I'm able to do, from me asking what I COULD do. I always knew I could plug two Ethernet cables in to the back of my modem and connect them directly to the devices I want hard-wired. I was trying to avoid doing that though, because my router has to stay in one place, which is far away from both the PC and xbox...so I was trying to get away with just one cable snaked through the house.

Ya I figured you had more than one port which is why I thought it'd be a waste of money for a switch etc. But the powerline adapter may be your best then to keep it simple.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#20mdog30001Posted 12/11/2013 1:44:42 PM
You can also use your telephone lines extra cable pairs if you want (I did it). Telephone's use Cat5 cable, but only use one or two of the pairs, leaving you with 2 more pairs (enough to carry internet). Go into the telephone socket and splice out the two extra pairs into a new ethernet head. You can then go to your telephone terminal (mine was in the basement) and connect the router through these lines. That way you can get hard line ethernet in every room.
Here's a tutorial
http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack-your-House-Run-both-ethernet-and-phone-over-/
---
gamertag: mdog3000