This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Man, Max Payne 3 was much better than my expectations.

#1gsf4lyfePosted 12/11/2013 10:33:36 AM
Really dug the aesthetic they used and narrative style. The structure and pacing was immaculate. The missions were distinctly different but seamless, and the gunplay never became an endless slog.
---
FX 6300 @ 4.0Ghz | GTX 760 | AsRock 970 Extreme3 | 120 GB 840 EVO | 2x4GB RAM @ 1600Mhz | CX 500m
SteamID: gsf4lyfe
#2StormKMDPosted 12/11/2013 10:38:42 AM
That's what happened with me playing Far Cry 3. I wasn't really expecting much. And then....and then...that was the only game I played until I beat it. It was so good.
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/StormKMD
#3pothocketPosted 12/11/2013 10:50:05 AM
Whoa, you liked the pacing and narrative style? We're talking about a game that had a 20+ minute opening cutscene that jumped between 3 different points in time before the player even got to actually play the game.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#4antknotPosted 12/11/2013 10:56:37 AM
I loved it, the gunplay, the soundtrack, the graphics, truly amazing game. That airport level when the music vocals pump up is pure badass.
#5gsf4lyfe(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 11:01:58 AM
antknot posted...
I loved it, the gunplay, the soundtrack, the graphics, truly amazing game. That airport level when the music vocals pump up is pure badass.

Oh man, just played that an hour or so ago. That was an intense fight. The enemy progression was also really good. Early in the game you could get by just body shotting everyone. mid/late game headshots became necessary, end game everyone had ****ing helmets on and you were headshotting people multiple times to kill them.
---
FX 6300 @ 4.0Ghz | GTX 760 | AsRock 970 Extreme3 | 120 GB 840 EVO | 2x4GB RAM @ 1600Mhz | CX 500m
#6KnifegashPosted 12/11/2013 11:07:47 AM
My favorite level was Panama. When you're on the boat, and the music just slowly starts swelling as you get closer and closer to uncovering this horrible truth of what's been happening under your nose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76sfOCdHu90

This is what made MP3 for me
---
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6
#7JKatarnPosted 12/11/2013 11:25:06 AM
I'd have to echo this sentiment, and the environments and animations were some of the best I've seen in a game to date. I'm disappointed that Rockstar didn't make an attempt to evolve the gunplay even a little bit, and Max's arsenal no longer contained grenades and Molotovs, those were always fun to play with (though I suppose the grenade launcher is a decent substitute, though rare). The game was certainly one of the darker, more depressing games I've played...gotta feel sorry for the poor old bastard, he's seen more death and taken more bullets than any man should.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#8JKatarnPosted 12/11/2013 11:26:48 AM
gsf4lyfe posted...
antknot posted...

Oh man, just played that an hour or so ago. That was an intense fight. The enemy progression was also really good. Early in the game you could get by just body shotting everyone. mid/late game headshots became necessary, end game everyone had ****ing helmets on and you were headshotting people multiple times to kill them.

And yet, despite wearing nothing but a t-shirt (if that), they still take several body shots from a relatively close range to go down, lol, good game but they could have toned down the typical Max Payne bullet sponge enemies a tad.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#9AsucaHayashiPosted 12/11/2013 11:32:35 AM
pothocket posted...
Whoa, you liked the pacing and narrative style?

this.

some people just have more patience than others i think... the only thing i'll say about MP3 is that it's a 10 hour action game with about 3.5-4 hours worth of cutscenes or scripting, the majority of which are unskippable because they're stupidly designed(someone else went indepth with it) and disguised as "loading" time.

i called the game pretentious because of this and got heat for it.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png
#10gsf4lyfe(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 11:35:25 AM
AsucaHayashi posted...
pothocket posted...
Whoa, you liked the pacing and narrative style?

this.

some people just have more patience than others i think... the only thing i'll say about MP3 is that it's a 10 hour action game with about 3.5-4 hours worth of cutscenes or scripting, the majority of which are unskippable because they're stupidly designed(someone else went indepth with it) and disguised as "loading" time.

i called the game pretentious because of this and got heat for it.

For me, non-stop action gets more boring than long cut scenes. I understand why some people might not like it though.

There were also a ton of little things I loved about the game. Huge attention to detail, particularly with the way Max displayed/handled the guns you were carrying. The brief expositions any time you picked up painkillers, or played a piano etc.
---