This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Man, Max Payne 3 was much better than my expectations.

#11Dark_SpiretPosted 12/11/2013 10:40:54 AM
the action was good (and pretty damn sexy), but i really just didnt like its narrative style. for me rockstars more serious tone just doesnt go well with max payne.
---
Currently playing: Rogue Legacy - Tales of Xillia - Skyrim
#12JKatarnPosted 12/11/2013 11:16:28 AM
Dark_Spiret posted...
the action was good (and pretty damn sexy), but i really just didnt like its narrative style. for me rockstars more serious tone just doesnt go well with max payne.

Have you played the original games? Aside from a few lighter touches here and there like "Captain Baseball Bat Boy" they were/are pretty damn dark/serious, Serious Sam they aren't.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#13calcyclePosted 12/11/2013 11:27:46 AM
JKatarn posted...
gsf4lyfe posted...
antknot posted...
I loved it, the gunplay, the soundtrack, the graphics, truly amazing game. That airport level when the music vocals pump up is pure badass.

Oh man, just played that an hour or so ago. That was an intense fight. The enemy progression was also really good. Early in the game you could get by just body shotting everyone. mid/late game headshots became necessary, end game everyone had ****ing helmets on and you were headshotting people multiple times to kill them.

And yet, despite wearing nothing but a t-shirt (if that), they still take several body shots from a relatively close range to go down, lol, good game but they could have toned down the typical Max Payne bullet sponge enemies a tad.

I don't think people are killed in just 1 shot unless it's a vital point. Mortally wounded maybe, but they can definitely still have the ability to shoot you in the minute or so of time you are still around the area. Even if they aren't armored if you use a weak enough caliber it could take 2 or more shots to bring them down for good. Which is what it usually takes to bring down t shirt enemies normally unless you get a headshot.

There's a reason some people do 2 shots to the chest and 1 to the head. To make sure they go down for good.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
Steam: Albatrossing
#14calcyclePosted 12/11/2013 11:30:38 AM
JKatarn posted...
Dark_Spiret posted...

Have you played the original games? Aside from a few lighter touches here and there like "Captain Baseball Bat Boy" they were/are pretty damn dark/serious, Serious Sam they aren't.

Have you played Serious Sam 3?

Literally every supporting character died before the end of the game, and then the Earth was destroyed. Luckily, Sam was able to travel to the past before it happened, but still it's pretty dark.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
Steam: Albatrossing
#15CremaciousPosted 12/11/2013 11:35:23 AM
The gameplay was good.
The style was not. I don't need random unimportant words flashing on screen.
---
PSN: Cremacious
#16JKatarnPosted 12/11/2013 11:46:55 AM
Cremacious posted...
The gameplay was good.
The style was not. I don't need random unimportant words flashing on screen.

Yeah, I could have done without that and the random drunk haze little hash line efffects.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#17HamBurglar69Posted 12/11/2013 2:19:45 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
pothocket posted...
Whoa, you liked the pacing and narrative style?

this.

some people just have more patience than others i think... the only thing i'll say about MP3 is that it's a 10 hour action game with about 3.5-4 hours worth of cutscenes or scripting, the majority of which are unskippable because they're stupidly designed(someone else went indepth with it) and disguised as "loading" time.

i called the game pretentious because of this and got heat for it.

Yes, a game series which has predominantly always been about story is pretentious.

Seriously, play the first 2 Max Payne games before you criticise the direction of Max Payne 3. While I preferred the old comic-styled narration and the unskippable scenes are a poor desgin to call out the game for having too many cut scenes or dialog is just stupid, especially since it is still a much more satisfying single player experience to many modern first person shooters today.
---
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95696112/tumblr_mpjakcPyVC1rvua2oo1_500.gif
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95696112/margaery-tyrell.gif
#18torres007Posted 12/11/2013 3:20:13 PM
I thought the game was amazing as well, like at least a 9/10 for the single player. I want to replay it now that I can play it on Ultra at 1440P at 60+ FPS, when my first two playthroughs were on High, at 1200 around 45 FPS...
---
Torres man get a sig.
#19AsucaHayashiPosted 12/11/2013 3:38:16 PM(edited)
Seriously, play the first 2 Max Payne games before you criticise the direction of Max Payne 3.

what makes you think i haven't?

in those games i could choose the pacing of the non-interactive narrative out of my own free will.

to call out the game for having too many cut scenes or dialog is just stupid, especially since it is still a much more satisfying single player experience to many modern first person shooters today.

i'll call out anything that bores me out of my mind with absolutely no way of speeding up or skipping altogether as having horrendous pacing as well as being pretentious because of said design.

i've sat through all main MGS games and those were all perfectly fine because at least kojima knows how to give people the proper tools for handling so much dialogue and lengthy cutscenes while no such thing exists in MP3.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png
#20clowningPosted 12/11/2013 3:59:12 PM
calcycle posted...

I don't think people are killed in just 1 shot unless it's a vital point. Mortally wounded maybe, but they can definitely still have the ability to shoot you in the minute or so of time you are still around the area. Even if they aren't armored if you use a weak enough caliber it could take 2 or more shots to bring them down for good. Which is what it usually takes to bring down t shirt enemies normally unless you get a headshot.

There's a reason some people do 2 shots to the chest and 1 to the head. To make sure they go down for good.

You too much TV.

On topic. MP3 was alright. The cutscenes dragged on too much at times for me. I tried to play it a second time and could not do it. It would be nice if these grittier games were actually gritty when it came to gunplay and injuries. The whole bullet sponge business just gets annoying after a while, and detracts from the dark mood.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle