This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Video gaming is FINISHED (no, really... probably)

#1KillerTrufflePosted 12/11/2013 3:23:19 PM(edited)
It's just a matter of time, but Cracked posted a pretty good article pointing out major problems with the current gaming industry structure and why there's a very good chance we might be looking at another industry collapse looming on the horizon - at least in terms of major studios.

TL;DR version:

* The collapse in '83 was a result of a glut of indistinguishable games and an economic model that stopped working before anyone realized it. Sound familiar?

* The people in charge of developing games know nothing about developing games. Major studio execs are almost never gamers, and the decisions major studios make reflect that.

* Budgets have gone crazy, and for a variety of reasons, a bigger budget and more staff actually makes producing a quality game harder rather than easier.

* Publishers are totally gaming the "professional" review system (like we never noticed that one).

* Even the developers themselves really don't know how the final game will look upon release, thanks to continually evolving hardware. This can sometimes mean the final game looks drastically different from early marketing (Colonial Marines, anyone?). That tends to piss gamers off.

* The industry exploits talent, drives some of the best developers away into fields with less stress, better work hours, and more money.

Indie games really could be the future of gaming more than a lot of people realize quite yet.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20727_5-reasons-video-game-industry-about-to-crash.html
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#2steveboblarryPosted 12/11/2013 3:24:36 PM
Maybe, DAMN YOU CALL OF DUTY YOUR GOING TO DESTROY GAMING FOR EVER.
---
"Why let the modding community do it, when we can sell it to you?"
yours truly, EA.
#3ExtraspectrePosted 12/11/2013 3:25:25 PM
Oh boy another article predicting the "future" of gaming.
---
Gamefaqs: The most passive aggressive place on the internet.
#4Worknofun370Posted 12/11/2013 3:27:24 PM
Ehhh... I can see it possibly happening, but the landscape is drastically different now than it was during the 80s collapse. There are similarities, but there are some major major differences too.

Also.. most of the people on this board will have no idea WTF you're talking about when talking about that collapse. :)
#5Incendia_IntusPosted 12/11/2013 3:27:34 PM
I doubt that will happen anytime soon. However, I wouldn't mind indie devs taking over the scene for awhile.
---
All childish acts of aggression, shall be handled with laughter.
#6arleasPosted 12/11/2013 3:31:54 PM
I think a few major studios may collapse (like THQ did) and a few others will be forced to reorganize and trim down, but I doubt a full on "game industry failure" will happen... Even when the "crash" of 1983 happened, that was mostly consoles that was affected. My Atari 800 and later my Commodore 128 were still supported just fine, and of course Nintendo came in and revitalized the console side of things by being something that was more than just "a dot moving through a maze collecting dots while avoiding other dots!".

So yeah, We might see some of the dead wood dry up and die off, but nothing like a mass extinction or anything.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg
#7Majoras_pantsPosted 12/11/2013 3:32:17 PM
No. That's really, really dumb, and only makes any sense if you ignore a large portion of gaming.

There are a few publishers spending a ton of money to make carbon copy games, sure. But there are tons of mid level developers making strategy games, RPGs and arcade style games that do just fine, and give us a lot of variation in what we can play. Also, Indy games are getting better and better.

The bottom might fall out for EA and activision sometime, but gaming itself is strong as hell right now. Great games, larger than ever market for all games, not just AAA lowest common denominator games, and plenty of variety.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#8Saga3Posted 12/11/2013 3:34:38 PM
Nope, too many sheeple and dudebros will ALWAYS buy the latest yearly installment of those games no matter how exploited they are; they'll just lay down and take it, nothing you can do about it. Only in an ideal world would Indie Games take over only for the publishers to actually take action and produce quality games without the BS surrounding it.
#9MahoganyTooth92Posted 12/11/2013 3:35:10 PM
Video games are too big of an industry to just disappear.

A crash? Yeah, that's a big possibility. I actually weirdly kinda want it to happen, so that we can finally have a change of pace.
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
#10PhilOnDezPosted 12/11/2013 3:35:26 PM
Extraspectre posted...
Oh boy another article predicting the "future" of gaming.

It actually doesn't try to predict anything about the future aside from things are going to change, the final line is something like "Are video games about to go away? Probably not, but in a few years the industry might look a whole lot different than it does now. That won't be a bad thing though." (not gonna open it again to get the exact quote, I dislike that writer and don't want to give him any more page views, though I think he just edited this article since I wasn't screaming BULL**** at every bullet point)

Cracked is pretty bad about having inflammatory/misleading article names to push page views so you really have to read them, going by title alone won't get you anywhere.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez