This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Video gaming is FINISHED (no, really... probably)

#11Orestes417Posted 12/11/2013 3:37:29 PM
Full on crash? no never happen. Things are too diverse now for that. I can however see some major players crashing and burning much the same way it's probably coming for all the multimedia industries.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#12DiviDudePosted 12/11/2013 3:38:04 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
* The collapse in '83 was a result of a glut of indistinguishable games and an economic model that stopped working before anyone realized it. Sound familiar?

If no one realizes it now, then how can it sound familiar now?
#13KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 3:42:07 PM
The collapse in the 80's was a pretty big mess. If it were to happen today, it wouldn't hurt nearly so bad because we *do* have a lot of independent sources for games, and a lot of indie games to choose from. Even if the scene drastically changed and major publishers all ended up folding or "restructuring," we'd still have a good bit to play. I think the consoles would probably feel it much worse than PC would, but even consoles have access to a lot of third-party indie content, so they wouldn't completely die off I don't think.

I don't see a complete collapse coming, but signs definitely do seem to point to the major studios falling apart at some point - they're walking an awfully thin line as it is, and I don't know how much longer they might hold out. Could be several years still, or could be next year. Sure it's possible it might never happen and they'll just keep struggling along pushing out the same generic crap year after year, but it seems more likely that they way the major industry is operating right now, it just won't be able to sustain itself indefinitely. Something's going to have to change.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#14Jprime666Posted 12/11/2013 3:43:47 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Full on crash? no never happen. Things are too diverse now for that. I can however see some major players crashing and burning much the same way it's probably coming for all the multimedia industries.

This. I can't see a full crash happening, but I can see many of the big players dying out.
---
Get ready for Kanji Tatsumi to show his manhood to these chicks! - Kanji Tatsumi
#15mycousinvinniePosted 12/11/2013 3:44:37 PM
AMD = Finished
#16Sega9599Posted 12/11/2013 3:46:05 PM
One of the main reasons was the poor quality of the games. ET for example. No matter how much you hate COD, I'd rather spend $40 on that game rather than $40 on ET.

No game released these days is that terrible and misleading in its advertising.
---
Oh, for a new 'proper' Shining Force..and a new Panel de Pon game and a new english release of Puyo Puyo....
#17KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 3:54:46 PM
Sega9599 posted...
One of the main reasons was the poor quality of the games. ET for example. No matter how much you hate COD, I'd rather spend $40 on that game rather than $40 on ET.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/226700/?snr=1_7_15__13
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#18AsucaHayashiPosted 12/11/2013 3:55:22 PM

aliens: CM...

anyways i want the console industry in its current form to die a swift death and be reborn.

you know **** is bad when you're launching a FIRST PARTY title with tons of microtransactions(or spend what seems to be months to get any of the good stuff) or going F2P with an asinine model.

also, it seems like only wii u is the last remaining non-subscription based console for online play... because who the hell would pay for that?
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png
#19JKatarnPosted 12/11/2013 4:10:12 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
Extraspectre posted...
Oh boy another article predicting the "future" of gaming.

It actually doesn't try to predict anything about the future aside from things are going to change, the final line is something like "Are video games about to go away? Probably not, but in a few years the industry might look a whole lot different than it does now. That won't be a bad thing though." (not gonna open it again to get the exact quote, I dislike that writer and don't want to give him any more page views, though I think he just edited this article since I wasn't screaming BULL**** at every bullet point)

Cracked is pretty bad about having inflammatory/misleading article names to push page views so you really have to read them, going by title alone won't get you anywhere.

Of course but you know....it's "Cracked.com", not "PC Gamer", "IGN", "Maximum PC", "Ars Technica" etc. - the name alone/magazine it's inextricably linked to would lead most people to lower their expectations.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#20GoIrish80Posted 12/11/2013 4:20:27 PM
Honestly....who cares.

If video games go away, then we'll all find something else to do with our time. And there's absolutely no chance in hell it's COMPLETELY going away anyway.....so all the speculation is pointless.

Besides, my Steam catalog has enough in it right now today to keep me occupied until I die. I really couldn't care less if it goes away tomorrow. I'll live.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2