This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I need a modern, deep, large, turn-based JRPG for PC

#31cmincPosted 12/11/2013 7:57:00 PM
Dragon Age is KIND of turn based. Ultimate edition is on steam right now for (i think) 8 bucks. I'm considering making the jump away from consoles to put all my older games on one (all-mighty) machine that can play current and future stuff as well, and before I built a rig I wanted to see what things looked like and that caught my eye instantly. You're getting a lot of content there for 8 bucks.

You might want to look at Vampire masquerade, too. It's not modern, per se, because it was made 14 years ago, but it does have a modern setting.I'm told it totally holds up, too. And the world itself, which is from the WOD tabletop rpg games, stands as one of the best 'fake universes' ever.

It's on my buy-list when I figure out how far I want to 'future-proof' my machine, but I don't really expect that to mean anything : )
---
---
#321337toothbrushPosted 12/11/2013 7:57:56 PM
I have a hard time thinking of a "modern, deep, large, turn-based JRPG" on any system.
---
------------
http://i.imgur.com/ZkQRDsR.png
#33kobalobasileusPosted 12/11/2013 8:05:03 PM
Jprime666 posted...
CatToy posted...
It's not a genre that ever penetrated the PC market. There are a few, The Last Remnant for example, and some American made games like the Zeboyd games, Breath of Death, Cthulhu Saves The World, Penny Arcade 3 and 4.

This. The PC gaming market is very small in Japan, so they don't bother porting their games to it in most cases.

Having said that, I'm surprised that Final Fantasy hasn't made a full transition to PC by this point.

Having said that, Final Fantasy has gone to crap so it doesn't matter.

I'd love to play Tales of Xillia in 1080p60FPS, but it's not meant to be.

Ehhhh... I dunno. I think the PC gaming market in Japan is pretty big... it just happens to focus on "dating sims" (H-games) to the exclusion of everything else. The reason for this is, of course, the lack of regulation and walled gardening of the PC ecosystem, so anyone is free to distribute things that would run into censorship walls on consoles/handhelds.

But to answer TC's question: Deep, large, turn-based RPGs are a thing of the past. You won't find many modern ones on consoles either.
#34koopenPosted 12/11/2013 8:07:01 PM
Sakura Wars for the Sega Dreamcast, it is consider the best selling SEGA game of all times, and it became game of the year along with games like ff7 and ocarina of time!

It is JRPG and strategy, play the first one, the fifth one sucks
#35How1ePosted 12/11/2013 8:11:23 PM
TLR popped into my head like many others.
---
In the future, there will be robots.
#36John_DanePosted 12/11/2013 8:28:44 PM(edited)
ITT people whose knowledge of Japanese computer RPGs is limited to Steam.

Here are some games you might like. Granted, they are extremely kawaii, text-heavy, and most contain H. It's Japan, you should be used to most of this by now. Be a man and play them. If it's gameplay you want, it's gameplay you'll get. Hours upon hours of fun await. A few have been officially translated. Others have been fan translated. All are awesome. Google is your friend.

Genius of Sappheiros
Labyrinth of Touhou
Fantasy Maiden Wars Scarlet
Kamidori Alchemy Meister
Aselia the Eternal
Yumina the Ethereal
Battle Moon Wars
Tears to Tiara
Sengoku Rance
Legend of Cao Cao

And since everyone is already talking about Steam:
Agarest: Generations of War
Paper Sorcerer (plays like Wizardry, which is now a Japanese IP; reminiscent of Dark Spire on DS; on Greenlight, can buy from developer right now)

I'll try to think of some others later. But these should hold you over for a long time.
#37bdavis93Posted 12/11/2013 8:44:03 PM
If you have a Nintendo DS, you could pick up Etrian Odyssey 1-3 for it, they are fairly well-modernized old-school-fashioned RPGs, although without the J.
#38GrabacrLeaderPosted 12/11/2013 9:02:49 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#39Demon_AckerPosted 12/11/2013 9:05:56 PM
Trails in the Sky SC is coming out on PC soon enough
#40ZeraphLordSPosted 12/11/2013 9:07:18 PM
Breath of Fire 4 is on PC
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs