This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I need a modern, deep, large, turn-based JRPG for PC

#71BIGFELLAH26Posted 12/12/2013 2:57:26 AM
Riot55555 posted...
The Last Remnant. It is a lot better than people say, don't listen to whiners.

I love The Last Remnant. To me it's what FF XII should have been. That's probably a very controversal opinion but I absolutely hate FF XII and think TLR is a million times better. I had the 360 version though. I lost all my data when my 360 died though. I was near the end of disc 1 finishing off all the disc one side quests. All that hard work lost. Too bad they cancelled the PS3 version.
#72Majoras_pantsPosted 12/12/2013 3:00:17 AM
BIGFELLAH26 posted...
Riot55555 posted...

I love The Last Remnant. To me it's what FF XII should have been. That's probably a very controversal opinion but I absolutely hate FF XII and think TLR is a million times better. I had the 360 version though. I lost all my data when my 360 died though. I was near the end of disc 1 finishing off all the disc one side quests. All that hard work lost. Too bad they cancelled the PS3 version.

The PC version improved a LOT of things. Get it.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#73Lousy_FellowPosted 12/12/2013 3:09:53 AM
monstre posted...
The last remnant is a weird game, it's seems like for every cool idea the game has, there's an equally dumb one just around the corner.

Good developer: "Hey let's have this awesome combat system where you can make multiple party and customize them by modifying the composition"

Bad developer: "That's pretty great idea, let's make it so you can't actually control them and have to select from only 4 randomly chosen choice"

Good developer: "Hey let's make every character unique, with a large variety of class, weapon and special technique"

Bad developer: "That's pretty great, let's make it so you can't actually chose what class the character are, what equipment they use and how they behave in combat"

Good developer: "Hey let's create tons of optional content, multiple optional boss and large secret dungeon"

Bad developer: "That's pretty great, let's make it so that they scale insanely high with your group level, and that if the player actually fight the enemy he encounter during normal gameplay it actually screw up his character leveling, oh and let's tie a large amount of secret content to having to go to a specific spot, to fight a specific boss at a point in time where there's no reason to go there"

And so on and so forth, shame really, could have been really good, make me wish for a TLR 2 that would fix all the stupidity.

You know, this post absolutely described my experience with TLR. It's a good game, but damn. So many stupid decisions. A JRPG where fighting everything you see is considered a bad idea and can screw up your character growth. I still don't know who the hell likes SaGa style random levelling of stats, it's the worst thing ever.

The music is awesome, though.
---
Why do you play games you don't enjoy? Are you a masochist?
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff514/Skull182-2/FutureofDLC.jpg
#74Reaper_MinionPosted 12/12/2013 3:11:11 AM
The Last Remnant fits the description and the PC version happens to be the vastly superior one.
---
/|\ http://i.imgur.com/hK9c1lo.jpg?1
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
#75GXL_LeonPosted 12/12/2013 3:21:40 AM
Modern: Release date 2013: OK
Turn Based: OK
Deep: OK
Large: OK
JRPG:OK
in PC: OK

Final Fantasy 8 Steam version is for you.

xD
---
Not changing Sig. until Volvo releases Terrorblade. 14-Nov-2013
#76truekainPosted 12/12/2013 4:04:56 AM
BlackWizardMagus posted...
Ikari Gendo posted...
I'll back Last Remnant also. Though maybe it's just me, but I found it quite hard. Actually got stuck at a boss because I f***ed up my leveling.

Exactly. Although I didn't like everything in the game, I was still enjoying it, until this happened. To make it clearer to TC, this is one of those games where you must actively avoid combat and leveling, because if you get to too high a level, too soon, the game becomes unplayable. You just die, period. I didn't even grind in the game, just fought battles as they came, and I was still too leveled. I dunno if the PC version fixed this precise problem, but I'd find out before dropping cash on it, because it's game-breaking.

Besides that, well, good luck. I'd love those too. JRPGs in general are dying in the west, especially if you don't play handhelds.

People love to overstate BR growth as gamebreaking if you fight too much, but the truth is you can finish the entire game without looking at a single FAQ while picking a fight with EVERY enemy you see in the every location you visit, that's actually how my first playthrough looked like.

Sure it was hard a couple of times, but nothing that rearranging your unions and a bit of luck won't fix.
---
A good elf is a dead elf.
#77nipukkaPosted 12/12/2013 4:29:48 AM
PCSX2... Just sayin'
---
http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/alison-brie-gif-2.gif
#78SliceSabrePosted 12/12/2013 4:29:51 AM
I like how TC said modern and the vast majority of the games that have been mentioned are not modern.

Face facts PC gamers, if you love JRPGs PC is just about the worst platform to go to looking for them.
---
@w@
Gamertag: SliceSabre
#79kilaudePosted 12/12/2013 5:01:18 AM
Riot55555 posted...

---
FC: 2638-0092-9141
#80gfaqsterPosted 12/12/2013 5:09:32 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]