This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody play Starbound yet?

#1josh_bPosted 12/11/2013 7:17:04 PM
So far ive been very impressed with the game.I purchased it last night around 7 pm and played till 9am this morning. Already killed the first big boss and already got a awesome legendary weapon that pretty much kills anything that touches the ground.

With this game just in the beta phase i can't wait to see what all they add once the game is completed.

I played a good bit of both Minecraft and Terreria but those games never stuck with me. Minecraft was just too hard on the eyes for me to find it enjoyable.

I personally think i have my game of the year and it's not even a completed game.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585
#2cody4783Posted 12/11/2013 7:19:26 PM
Nope, just you and the other ~80,000 daily concurrent Steam players.

But in all seriousness, I *want* the game, but I intend on avoiding purchase until it's release. Mostly because I just can't be arsed to deal with character wipes due to drastic changes in beta development. When it's finished, I'll play it.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#3ShubPosted 12/11/2013 7:19:38 PM
This guy hates it but he's being a complete numbskull about it.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/68055161
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4Marioface5Posted 12/11/2013 7:56:05 PM
cody4783 posted...
Nope, just you and the other ~80,000 daily concurrent Steam players.

But in all seriousness, I *want* the game, but I intend on avoiding purchase until it's release. Mostly because I just can't be arsed to deal with character wipes due to drastic changes in beta development. When it's finished, I'll play it.

If it helps any, the second phase of the beta is supposed to have a "minimal" chance for data loss and the third (final) phase doesn't even mention it, so I believe that by that point it won't be an issue anymore. That said, depending on how long those phases last it could easily make more sense to just wait until release at that point, since even without the character wipes you would probably benefit from starting over for the main quest and such.

More information about the beta phases can be found here for anyone interested: http://playstarbound.com/how-the-beta-is-going-to-work/

To answer the original post, I'm loving Starbound so far and it's awesome to be able to be a part of it from the beginning. I'm really excited to see how it progresses up to release, and then Chuckefish have said that they "plan to keep adding new content for at least a year after release, perhaps a lot longer" so that will be really cool as well.

The mod support and such is also fantastic, and I'm interested to see if Starbound ends up getting the kind of huge mods that made me love Minecraft. Industrialcraft and Thaumcraft are good examples of what I mean. Of course, I assume that getting mods to work with Starbound will be less of a nightmare and won't require a ton of time slowly configuring them to work together only to have an update come out that breaks everything.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#5cody4783Posted 12/11/2013 8:29:00 PM(edited)
Yeah, waiting until at least the second stage is likely going to be the route I take. Depends on what else comes up and how my patience holds out.

I can handle bugs and developmental changes, but re-starting a game that *can* potentially be an initial grind just isn't the way I want to dive into it. It's not as though I'm dying for a new game to play.

I put 160 hours into Terraria, and I still wasn't too crazy about restarting a couple times after major patch/content updates. And I've yet to go back and restart for 1.2(?) that dropped awhile ago.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#6arrseeteePosted 12/11/2013 9:03:37 PM
Yeah an amazing user from here gave me the game for free ;)
Thanks again for that kind stranger!!

Lol anyways yeah gets pretty addicting, I put a fair amount of time into Terraria but I didn't get as addicted to it as Starbound is to me now. Which was VERY surprising, I already put in about 9hours in 2days. Stopping atm as an update wiped my saves :( Oh well, we all knew the consequences when we started. Great game. And yeah lil warning TC, don't get too attached to our characters lol.
---
Posting from phone. So Police, don't whine about minor mistakes.
#7Marioface5Posted 12/11/2013 9:11:37 PM
Having played through all of Terraria 1.2's major content (or at least having defeated all of its bosses) I really don't get why so many people treated it like it was a huge change to the entire game. There were a lot of nice changes and new items, but for the most part 1.1 still felt more drastic because even though 1.2 added more, most of what it added was either largely inconsequential (alternate ores, for example) or just felt like it should have been there since the beginning. No doubt it was still a great update, but before playing it I remember seeing people, including a mod for Terraria Online who had been playing it for months, say things like how it was "like a re-imagining of the whole game" or "more like Terraria 2.0 than 1.2" and other things that were way too hyped up. In reality the update really wasn't all that big of a deal, though it was a nice reason to go back to the game for a while.
---
#8kelemvorPosted 12/11/2013 9:23:19 PM(edited)
I wanted to play Terraria 1.2 but my friends have moved on, and our IT guy who runs our server wouldn't bother hosting it since it was Windows only. After playing for a while with a close group on a server I couldn't go back to single player.

Starbound works with Linux and Mac, and we should have a server up soon. I'm not playing too much until some of the kinks get worked out, but it's obviously going to set the new standard for a 2D sandbox style/exploration game.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#9ShubPosted 12/12/2013 7:04:43 AM(edited)
So does the game have an offline mode? Or will it? I haven't researched the game much but all this talk of characters getting wiped concerns me slightly. I enjoyed multiplayer Terraria but I still spent most of my time playing it alone and offline.
Or at the very least, will there be a piece of server software I can run on my personal server like Terraria?

...or do I have this all wrong?
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#10Marioface5Posted 12/12/2013 7:29:12 AM
Shub posted...
So does the game have an offline mode? Or will it? I haven't researched the game much but all this talk of characters getting wiped concerns me slightly. I enjoyed multiplayer Terraria but I still spent most of my time playing it alone and offline.
Or at the very least, will there be a piece of server software I can run on my personal server like Terraria?

...or do I have this all wrong?

The wipes are from updates breaking saves. You can play it by yourself offline just fine, and hosting your own servers is also an option for multiplayer and such.

I'd highly recommend that anyone who buys Starbound picks it up from the developer's website. It gets you the DRM free version of the game (not yet available due to the frequency of beta updates), a Steam key for the game, and a copy of the soundtrack (which is normally $5 on Steam) for the same price as the game itself costs on Steam.

Link: http://playstarbound.com/store/
---