This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How bad is static for a running computer/peripherals?

#1CardigansFanPosted 12/11/2013 8:14:29 PM
Three times already I've discharged static into my G9x mouse, causing it to turn off for a few seconds before returning back to normal. Right now I just discharged static onto the case while plugging my headphones in.

I'm assuming as long as the desktop is plugged into a wall socket, I should be fine?
---
Galaxy Note 3 * 3DS XL
NX300 * VModa M80
#2myztikricePosted 12/11/2013 8:21:58 PM
are you rolling around in a carpeted room?
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.
#3CardigansFan(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 9:14:18 PM
myztikrice posted...
are you rolling around in a carpeted room?

Nope, just really dry in Chicago right now.
---
Galaxy Note 3 * 3DS XL
NX300 * VModa M80
#4googs19Posted 12/11/2013 9:32:31 PM
I managed to destroy the scroll wheel on my mouse by giving it a static shock before.
#5EStar999Posted 12/11/2013 9:35:34 PM
Why don't you buy a humidifier?
#6arleasPosted 12/11/2013 9:43:56 PM(edited)
The case should be grounded. Even still, I wouldn't go scooting around in leather soled shoes or wearing lots of wool and/or rubbing balloons on my head and then randomly touching computer parts.

A humidifier would help a little, but it shouldn't be hard to avoid shocking your computer to death anyway. I live in Texas so we don't really get cold dry weather (we're more likely to get cold and wet weather) but I've never had a problem, even when I lived in Alaska.

You COULD make this a routine... before you do ANYTHING involving your computer, touch something that will ground you (the screw that attaches the faceplate to your electrical outlet should do just fine).
---
http://astats.astats.nl/astats/astats_card_76561197969913402.png
http://i.imgur.com/Im803Gk.gif
#7CardigansFan(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 10:01:33 PM
googs19 posted...
I managed to destroy the scroll wheel on my mouse by giving it a static shock before.

Ouch.

EStar999 posted...
Why don't you buy a humidifier?

I have two running on high, 24/7. Still dry.

arleas posted...
The case should be grounded. Even still, I wouldn't go scooting around in leather soled shoes or wearing lots of wool and/or rubbing balloons on my head and then randomly touching computer parts.

A humidifier would help a little, but it shouldn't be hard to avoid shocking your computer to death anyway. I live in Texas so we don't really get cold dry weather (we're more likely to get cold and wet weather) but I've never had a problem, even when I lived in Alaska.

You COULD make this a routine... before you do ANYTHING involving your computer, touch something that will ground you (the screw that attaches the faceplate to your electrical outlet should do just fine).

Fair enough, I guess I'll try that.
---
Galaxy Note 3 * 3DS XL
NX300 * VModa M80
#8siglumdiobolikPosted 12/12/2013 9:01:38 AM
might sound dumb but it actually works to some extent , put anti static dryer sheets in your pockets to reduce static build up it wont eliminate it completely but it will reduce it a hefty bit.
---
Navy, GunnersMate 1st Class
#9Crimson_JesusPosted 12/16/2013 1:16:53 AM(edited)
jesus i didn't chicago was so dry, i don't have a humidifier and i've never been shocked in my apartment

im in Los Angeles though
---
If you believe in Cthulhu and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/Sigs/CrimsonJesus.jpg