This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Oculus Rift and 'Simulation Sickness'.

#1Lady UnePosted 12/12/2013 11:59:03 AM
While not nearly as cool (and lethal for innocent bystanders) as Cyberpunk's 'Cyber Psychosis' I am unfortunately susceptible to it. (sim sickness that is, i haven't had the chance to replace my body parts with implanted weaponry.....yet)

My OR dev kit arrived yesterday and aside from almost falling into my monitor playing the SDK Tuscany demo (a sudden stop at the top of the stairs caused my body to lurch forward while i was standing) everything went fine until War Thunder.

I've never had motion sickness and love thrill rides (despite being acrophobic) but after about 10 minutes of flying around and looking out the sides of the plane I was piloting I started to feel markedly ill.

So much so I had to stop and lie down.

And as of this morning even playing games where I am solidly on the ground like Dreadhalls or Skyrim makes me feel a little queasy after about 10 minutes.

Anyone else had a chance to play with one for an extended time? If so, did you notice any adverse effects?

I can't help but wonder if once it goes retail if people hurling onto their desktops will become the new 'Wiimote through the HDTV' phenomenon.
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
Wow. Kenny's a Japanese Princess..
#2daemon_danPosted 12/12/2013 12:01:51 PM
Unfortunately you're in the minority. It's something I feared would be an issue with the OR, and I really hope I'm not susceptible to it. I'm sorry to hear you feel ill using it :/
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#3Rolen47Posted 12/12/2013 12:03:22 PM
Are there any field-of-view settings you can adjust? I've heard that some people can get sick if their field of view is set to something their brain doesn't like.
#4Lady Une(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2013 12:07:02 PM
daemon_dan posted...
Unfortunately you're in the minority. It's something I feared would be an issue with the OR, and I really hope I'm not susceptible to it. I'm sorry to hear you feel ill using it :/

Yeah. Supposedly they are working on making it less of an issue somehow. It probably helps that the CEO of Oculus VR also suffers from it.
---
#5therickmu25Posted 12/12/2013 12:09:13 PM
I think your body and mind can adjust enough to it over time where you will be able to handle it. It's something so new and nothing like you've ever had to experience before.
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/9Ho6VA1.jpg
#6Lady Une(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2013 12:12:42 PM
Rolen47 posted...
Are there any field-of-view settings you can adjust? I've heard that some people can get sick if their field of view is set to something their brain doesn't like.

It varies from game to game, for Skyrim it's pretty much mandatory to pull the FOV back a bit.

War Thunder is one of the few games that has OR support built in, and despite the bizarre menu, the in game FOV seems good.

I'm actually about to hop back in and try flying around a bit without looking around so much. Since you have free head tracking I never really looked forward, and as I understand, moving in one direction while looking in another is what causes classical real world motion sickness.
---
#7Ch3wyPosted 12/12/2013 12:16:54 PM
That sucks TC, I hope I'm not susceptible to it. I got sea sickness last time I was on a big fishing boat but I think that's like the opposite of motion sickness.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#8jake-sfPosted 12/12/2013 12:18:21 PM
Isn't that caused by the eye settings/calibration being unfit for you?

I don't have the dev kit but I do remember someone with sickness saying he changed some settings and it was better after that, granted I think he had just left it how it was at first. I'm not even sure if thats globally supported yet, maybe it was on a per-game basis as far as the dev kit is concerned.

Thats all I could possibly suggest.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#9YombieePosted 12/12/2013 12:30:40 PM
I remember hearing a long time ago that this is caused by a subliminal conflict between your brain and body.

Your eyes interpret motion from the screen as being real, so the liquid in your inner eardrums that's used for balance, fluctuates to compensate for the perceived movement.

The symptoms however, arise from the fact that the body still senses it's sitting still which is in direct conflict with how the brain is perceiving things, and that confusion between the two manifests as nausea, dizziness, headaches, or a general feeling of sickness.

It is no wonder that many people feel the need to lay down after that, as their body probably has to readjust and get it's barrings down.
#10Lady Une(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2013 12:34:44 PM
jake-sf posted...
Isn't that caused by the eye settings/calibration being unfit for you?

I don't have the dev kit but I do remember someone with sickness saying he changed some settings and it was better after that, granted I think he had just left it how it was at first. I'm not even sure if thats globally supported yet, maybe it was on a per-game basis as far as the dev kit is concerned.

Thats all I could possibly suggest.

I calibrated it to my eyes in the SDK. Only thing is last night I was using the 20/20 vision lens and wearing a slightly older pair of glasses since my normal cat frames don't really fit unless I jam them in the OR. Just tried the C lens for the OR (for people with bad nearsightedness) and re-calibrated to take them into account and it seemed less stressful on my eyes.

Could just be that my eyes adapted to the focus point/FOV of the OR last night anyway, but who knows.

Also noticed in War Thunder there is some seemingly post processing style blur when you turn your head quickly, going to see if there is way to disable that.

Didn't really feel ill for the 10 mins I flew around, but the sense of motion (or rather your body trying to compensate for motion that isn't really occurring) is still very off putting.
---