This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Oculus Rift and 'Simulation Sickness'.

#11YombieePosted 12/12/2013 1:39:47 PM
Lady Une posted...

I calibrated it to my eyes in the SDK. Only thing is last night I was using the 20/20 vision lens and wearing a slightly older pair of glasses since my normal cat frames don't really fit unless I jam them in the OR. Just tried the C lens for the OR (for people with bad nearsightedness) and re-calibrated to take them into account and it seemed less stressful on my eyes.

Could just be that my eyes adapted to the focus point/FOV of the OR last night anyway, but who knows.

Also noticed in War Thunder there is some seemingly post processing style blur when you turn your head quickly, going to see if there is way to disable that.

Didn't really feel ill for the 10 mins I flew around, but the sense of motion (or rather your body trying to compensate for motion that isn't really occurring) is still very off putting.

My personal suggestion might seem a bit out there, but it's wholly logical once you understand the reasons behind it.

1. "My body is ready (Reggie)."

A lot of those precautions found in game manuals (that no one ever reads), say to take a break after a prolonged session of gaming.... I however feel they have it backwards.

I for one think you should take a "break" before gaming to prepare your self subconsciously.

Most gamers probably don't have to do this, especially if they do not suffer from motion sickness via gaming, as they probably have a more developed coping mechanism from previous experiences with gaming. That said, I feel it could benefit your own development of said ability to adapt.

Opposed to jumping into an heavily immersive experience straight away and out of the blue without preparation, perhaps build up to it by doing some things with the glasses that are not so engrossing, such as browsing the web with them. (you can do that, right? [I know next to nothing about the product!]).

That way, your subconsciousness has a moment to adjust to the sudden change in visual/physical perceptions and can more easily progress and adapt to more intensive stimuli, such as gaming with the glasses.

After you spend a while to condition yourself to the experience, I think you may find you'll be able to subconsciously resolve the symptoms more smoothly, or perhaps without any negative drawbacks.

2. "It's an immersion killer."

If the root of the problem lies in your body misinterpreting the stimuli to be real, then perhaps going out of your way to break the illusion would be a more direct way of resolving things?

It may or may not be as easy reinforcing the idea that you're experiencing a videogame by reminding yourself of this periodically as you game, or perhaps you could take a few steps break the immersion; these would be conscious and subconscious cues to help reinforce the fact that no actual motion is occuring, by taking yourself a step back from the experience in it's entirety.

You could possibly use the act of "psychological anchoring" to achieve this as well. Instead of gaming on a whim, you could devise a pre-game ritual to google glass, such as preparing a specific drink prior to the experience, or always sitting in a specific chair that you normally don't sit in when you use the computer, watch tv, or game...

This will help precondition you to the experience by anchoring your desired reactions onto the physical act of what ever pre-googleglass ritual you decide upon, after a while you won't need the ritual to feel well. (EX: Think of the movie inception and how they play that specific song while diving into their dreams, to remind themselves of such.)

Along the same lines,people who insist on messing with the FOV to give fishbowl-lense-style camera perspectives, and or other unrealistic FOVs, probably do so because it is more unrealistic and thus easier to process.

^Just my musings.
#12Lady Une(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2013 7:21:14 PM
Welp, I still feel kind of ill when I play anything, but haven't felt as bad as I did last night.

Even got some rudimentary support for ARMA 2 going with TriDef and flew various high speed aircraft around. (much faster than the bi-plane i initially got ill on)

Hopefully the effect will keep lessening over time.

The change to the compensated lens from regular lens w/glasses also reduced any noticeable eye strain while playing.

Also had my friend who gets motion sickness IRL try the Unreal coaster demo and they had to stop halfway.
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
Wow. Kenny's a Japanese Princess..