This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

well after trying fallout 1 for 30 mins, never again

#41GTL581Posted 12/14/2013 8:13:02 AM
it's a shame that some people can't get into older games that they didn't grow up with. i never had a computer i could play games on growing up throughout the 90s, hell i didn't have one that could play starcraft until maybe 2002, i had to play it on the N64 up until that point; but i can still go back and play all of those old CRPGs for the first time 15+ years after they came out just fine. no nostalgia involved. in fact, one of my favorite games at the moment is ultima 7, and i didn't play that for the first time until earlier this year. given the game is the same age as me and is horribly dated by today's standards, i was pleasantly surprised with how much fun i got out of it. you just have to put yourself in the right mindset, understand when the game came out, and understand what it did for it's time, try and appreciate it. maybe even convince yourself your back playing around the time when it came out, immerse yourself, etc. there is a lot of fun to be had in these games, and i wish more people were able to put aside things like dated graphics or mechanics so they could get the same experience out of it.
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#42CircleOfManiasPosted 12/14/2013 10:07:00 AM
BigAl519 posted...
People living in a world of nostalgia will argue that with you TC. I, however, couldn't agree more. I prefer 3 and NV WAAAYY more than those old snoozefests.

But since this is GFAQ's you will only end up being insulted by a) the kids who likely never played any of the FO games and b) the overly nostalgic gamers who live in a dream world where its 1998 every year and gaming will never improve from there.

Changing a turn-based tactical combat system to a glorified FPS is "improvement"?
---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
#43SnadadosPosted 12/14/2013 10:23:20 AM
CircleOfManias posted...
BigAl519 posted...
People living in a world of nostalgia will argue that with you TC. I, however, couldn't agree more. I prefer 3 and NV WAAAYY more than those old snoozefests.

But since this is GFAQ's you will only end up being insulted by a) the kids who likely never played any of the FO games and b) the overly nostalgic gamers who live in a dream world where its 1998 every year and gaming will never improve from there.

Changing a turn-based tactical combat system to a glorified FPS is "improvement"?

It sure is when the turn based combat in it is so boring and tedious.

I fired up Fallout 2 last week, here is an example of how the first few hours of combat will look:
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
You hit for 1 point of damage.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
You hit for 3 points of damage.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
You critically missed and lose your next turn.

Fun.

After that the only choice is whether you aim for the head, the eyes or the groin.

As far as turn based combat goes, Fallout is not something I'd point out as having good turn based combat.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#44AkubunakPosted 12/14/2013 11:26:57 AM
I don't know about the whole "nostalgia makes it good" thing because I picked up FO1, 2 and Tactics when I was 15 (17 now) and I think they are amazing games. Fallout 3 got me interested in the series and I ended up liking 1&2 better than 3 (Tactics is just alright) I think you just have to be open minded and understand that yes, some things will be dated seeing as it the game is pretty dang old. If you can get past that, its an amazing game with tons of replay value and the humor is amazing (Low intelligence build is hilarious)
#45GTL581Posted 12/14/2013 3:33:14 PM
Snadados posted...

I fired up Fallout 2 last week, here is an example of how the first few hours of combat will look:
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
You hit for 3 points of damage.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
Miss.
You critically missed and lose your next turn.

Fun.

After that the only choice is whether you aim for the head, the eyes or the groin.

As far as turn based combat goes, Fallout is not something I'd point out as having good turn based combat.

i'm beginning to understand why it's so hard to find people who want to play dungeons and dragons with me...
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#46eragonman9Posted 12/14/2013 7:43:31 PM
I've just spent most of today shirking my responsibilities and playing Fallout. It certainly gets better once you progress a while.
I'd say it's better than Fallout 3, but that's not saying much.
---
We march for Macragge!
And we shall know no fear!
#47TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 12/14/2013 7:54:14 PM(edited)
Snadados posted...
CircleOfManias posted...
BigAl519 posted...

. . .

Fun.

Those that have this problem are doing it wrong. I did the same thing the first couple times I played. At the beginning of the game, you'll definitely want to boost the score of melee weapons and/or small guns, since that's what you start out with (unless you're an experienced player and can locate the weapons you want to specialize in without getting yourself into danger early in the game). The beginning of the first Fallout is easier in my opinion because it doesn't have that trial and it starts you out with a 10mm pistol, and Junktown is really close by and it has some great early-game rewards.

Also, I recommend new players turn the difficulty down. Bumping the combat speed/animations all the way up also helps keep the gameplay flowing.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#48SinisterSlayPosted 12/14/2013 8:03:46 PM
The first one loses Me because it has a time limit. I'm not free to explore and do what i want.
Took a guide to find the rope in shadytown since i had no reason to go there.
Second... I couldn't get through the first room of the trials. No idea how to unlock that door.

With how horrible i am at these games, its clear they are not for me.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#49ThunderPotatoPosted 12/15/2013 12:34:53 AM
I'm sorry your taste in games is horrible.
---
I love you.
#50harcoreblazerPosted 12/18/2013 9:51:13 AM
Seeing how this game is veery old, yeah the world may not feel kind of alive compared to modern games, at least it's justified by being set on a post-apocalyptic world.
---
PSN/Steam = retrohunter95.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4HQWWuqP8&feature=youtu.be