This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does it take some time for The Walking Dead (S1) to pickup and become great?

#1xLexLuth0rxPosted 12/13/2013 10:31:19 PM
I've played through the first hour or so and I'm not seeing why this game is so great. It's got a lot of great praise from many different sources but I feel like I'm missing something.

Right now I'm at the farm with the little girl and the people there I've been talking to. Overall it just seems so-so, do I continue to push on for it to get better?
---
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
"And like that, *poof*. He's gone."
#2mtjormitchPosted 12/13/2013 10:35:19 PM
Dude... keep playing. There are reasons why this game is going to be remembered as a classic. Trust me. Also, let your emotions decide things and see how things go. There is no wrong way of playing the game.
---
Story in video games have gotten more important than gameplay nowadays. I recommend dealing with this fact and learning that this is now a storytelling medium.
#3Solid_FakePosted 12/13/2013 11:48:40 PM
The gameplay isn't very good, but I found the story to be entertaining. Certainly worth the money on spent on the humble bundle for it. It's pretty consistent throughout.
---
Do you get to the Cloud District very often?
Oh, what am I saying; of course you don't.
#4chaosdragon919Posted 12/13/2013 11:56:35 PM
Solid_Fake posted...
The gameplay isn't very good, but I found the story to be entertaining. Certainly worth the money on spent on the humble bundle for it. It's pretty consistent throughout.

It was on the humble bundle before? I don't ever recall that.
---
Needs more books.
#5Lady UnePosted 12/14/2013 12:04:36 AM
chaosdragon919 posted...
Solid_Fake posted...

It was on the humble bundle before? I don't ever recall that.

There was a Telltale HB weekly sale IIRC.
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
Wow. Kenny's a Japanese Princess..
#6arrseeteePosted 12/14/2013 12:14:16 AM
Honestly I thought the first ep wasn't anything special. But the magic for me really started to kick in, in the third act of ep2. That's when I really started to see the potential for it to amaze, and eventually as the rest of the episodes released, fortunately it lived up to that potential. Honestly felt as if each episode got better. You have to judge the game as a whole. And yes, it is a great game.
---
Posting from phone. So Police, don't whine about minor mistakes.
#7NaramiePosted 12/14/2013 12:26:20 AM
The story picks up as you learn more about the characters and relationships/decisions that you make.

Don't expect the greatest gameplay in the world, this isn't Call of Duty or Battlefield. What you will get is pretty good story telling in an accessible point and click adventure that doesn't have many puzzles and kind of holds your hand most of the way. It's worth playing for the story especially if you're a Walking Dead fan.
---
"If two things are stupidly different, Japan will put them in a cage and see what happens. "
#8xLexLuth0rx(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2013 1:08:53 AM
Cool, thanks guys. I'll still move forward and see how it goes. Huge backlog and I'm trying to decide what games to focus on and which to put off for now.
---
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
"And like that, *poof*. He's gone."
#9Ultima_Weapon33Posted 12/14/2013 1:36:15 AM
First hour

At the farm?

You are playing very slowly :O
---
A true hero never wavers. My place is at the top.
Bring me a real challenge. CHA
#10SpazH3dPosted 12/14/2013 2:07:23 AM
The farm is quite boring. The game will get fabulous soooooooon. Have some patience.
---
- My vision is augmented