This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

got a ASUS R9 290X

#91ShebeskiiPosted 12/15/2013 4:43:00 PM
Calculated using minimum framerates:
(38-34)/34 = 11.76%

HardOCP doesn't list a case in their test setup, so I'd assume open bench.

I'm looking at averages, not minimums.

See, the problem lies within the bolded line.

But they ran them at realistic fan modes from the same reasonable distance. So what's your point? I don't understand what you're trying to say with this post.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#92Snuckie7Posted 12/15/2013 5:01:59 PM
Shebeskii posted...
(38-34)/34 = 11.76%

Clearly, although the difference between 10 and 11% can be described truly as "minuscule".

But they ran them at realistic fan modes from the same reasonable distance. So what's your point? I don't understand what you're trying to say with this post.

Let me guess, you watched a video of a 290X running uber mode on an open test bench with the camera a few feet away from the card. Do you game like that?
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#93ShebeskiiPosted 12/15/2013 5:21:16 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
Shebeskii posted...
(38-34)/34 = 11.76%

Clearly, although the difference between 10 and 11% can be described truly as "minuscule".

Let me guess, you watched a video of a 290X running uber mode on an open test bench with the camera a few feet away from the card. Do you game like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuhK0IzZneM

I linked this in my post. Did you just skip it? lol.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#94Snuckie7Posted 12/15/2013 5:47:19 PM
Shebeskii posted...
Snuckie7 posted...
Shebeskii posted...
(38-34)/34 = 11.76%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuhK0IzZneM

I linked this in my post. Did you just skip it? lol.

Not sure what's going on in the video. Is anything even being filmed? Where is the location of the microphone?

Covered 40% and 55% still sound fine coming from my speakers though.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#95ShebeskiiPosted 12/15/2013 6:21:14 PM
Not sure what's going on in the video. Is anything even being filmed? Where is the location of the microphone?

We measured the noise generated by the fan of each GPU using a decibel meter pointed at the side panel of the system at a distance of 30cm.

Granted, yes, it's 30cm from the side panel of a Bit Fenix Prodigy, and not 60 or 90, but it's not directly beside it on an open bench either.
---
#96Snuckie7Posted 12/15/2013 8:26:40 PM
Shebeskii posted...

We measured the noise generated by the fan of each GPU using a decibel meter pointed at the side panel of the system at a distance of 30cm.

Granted, yes, it's 30cm from the side panel of a Bit Fenix Prodigy, and not 60 or 90, but it's not directly beside it on an open bench either.

30cm… that is less than one foot. Even at that distance the sound wasn't even that bad. I think that reaffirms the HOCP review nicely.
---
#97ShebeskiiPosted 12/15/2013 9:22:13 PM
Snuckie7 posted...
Shebeskii posted...

30cm… that is less than one foot. Even at that distance the sound wasn't even that bad. I think that reaffirms the HOCP review nicely.

I think it does nothing of the sort. It's just some guy's opinion of sound. You can't generalize anything from his opinion.

I sit within 2 feet of my case. If I reach over with my left arm I can turn it off without shifting my body at all. It's essentially by my left foot under the desk.

Compared to the 780, which isn't even that quiet of a card compared to aftermarket coolers, it was pretty damn bad. The difference is a general whoosh vs. a distinct vacuum cleaner sound.

It's cool that you're fine with it. I'm not, and I don't see the cost savings as worth it.
---
#98blax34dmPosted 12/15/2013 9:57:09 PM
After reading this argument I gotta say snuckie youre going after manner pretty aggressively and I dont think he is saying anything too outrageous. 550 dollars is a LOT of money for most people. A 550 dollar graphics card that has a pretty obvious and substantial flaw (despite how little effect said flaw has on performance) is pretty tough for most of us to just suck it up and deal with, especially with much better options right around the corner that will make for money better spent.
#99Snuckie7Posted 12/15/2013 10:53:44 PM(edited)
Shebeskii posted...
Snuckie7 posted...
Shebeskii posted...

I think it does nothing of the sort. It's just some guy's opinion of sound. You can't generalize anything from his opinion.

I sit within 2 feet of my case. If I reach over with my left arm I can turn it off without shifting my body at all. It's essentially by my left foot under the desk.

Compared to the 780, which isn't even that quiet of a card compared to aftermarket coolers, it was pretty damn bad. The difference is a general whoosh vs. a distinct vacuum cleaner sound.

It's cool that you're fine with it. I'm not, and I don't see the cost savings as worth it.

Do you see anything wrong with comparing your opinion of a video of the noise with the opinion of someone who actually has owned the card for a month? I think you'll find that most 290X owners will tell you that the noise isn't a huge problem. Neither the 780 or the 290X are extremely loud cards. Sure the 290X is louder relatively, but this whole thing is hugely blown out of proportion.

See: The post right above mine. People have been brainwashed into thinking that this is some kind of substantial flaw. I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia ran a smear campaign to exaggerate the loudness. It has worked quite well for them I'd say.
---
#100MannerHatcheryPosted 12/15/2013 11:07:39 PM(edited)
Wow I can't believe this is still going on.

Whether or not it is a substantial flaw is up for debate. If you are like me, and 1. You want to get as much as you can out of your high end card as you can with the setup you have and 2. You are sensitive to the cards noise output, then yes, it is substantially flawed.

However, if you either 1. Don't care about overclocking (because overclocking is very limited on the ref 290x due to temperature and cooling system) to push your cards performance as much as you can and/or 2. Don't care about the noise, or game exclusively with headphones etc, then it won't be a problem for you.

You have to turn up the fan quite high if you are going to overclock a ref. 290x, and even then it will still run hot which for me is an issue. We can debate all we want about whether the 290x is "loud" or "too loud" at like 55% fan speed, but I don't think anyone can deny that the card is very loud as it pushes closer to 100% (DBa number comparisons prove this fact if you are video-averse), which would be necessary in order to push on overclocking due to the cards high temperatures.

Also, I don't see how someone saying "wait for the 290x non-reference" can be considered brainwashed. I mean...it's not like they said "It's too loud and hot! Go buy a 780 Ti right now!".