This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The year is 2013 and I am playing....

#1DavidMeyerPosted 12/15/2013 3:59:13 AM
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura...

Despite having great AAA titles like Skyrim, Battlefield 4 and other MMOs in 2013, no game captures my attention and interest like Arcanum. The game is just too much fun, character customization is great (High charm character anyone?) and there are consequences to decisions.This is probably my 4th playthrough and I am still trying new things out.

Are there any similar Arcanum fans out here? The game does look dated though. Are there any modern games that play like Arcanum and offer such tons of customizing? I may have missed out some. I do know the sequel to Arcanum was shelved but there has to be similar games out there right?

Cheers!!
#2BatmanVonDoomPosted 12/15/2013 4:03:32 AM
Arcanum is fantastic.

Currently playing KOTOR for the first time.
---
http://i.imgur.com/GC6An.jpg
#3ggf162Posted 12/15/2013 4:14:28 AM
Planescape: Torment? I'm not very far in it, but I'm loving every moment of it.
---
The Dude abides
#4GTL581Posted 12/15/2013 4:44:36 AM
for some reason crpgs from the 90s immerse me way more than any rpg in the last 10 years has, despite the dated graphics. can't say i'd ever play arcanum, as i'm not too big a fan of steampunk settings, but i love isometric rpgs where you actually play a role that you want to. any game using the infinity engine is automatically in love with.
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#5SlaynPosted 12/15/2013 4:49:01 AM
GTL581 posted...
for some reason crpgs from the 90s immerse me way more than any rpg in the last 10 years has, despite the dated graphics. can't say i'd ever play arcanum, as i'm not too big a fan of steampunk settings, but i love isometric rpgs where you actually play a role that you want to. any game using the infinity engine is automatically in love with.

Because they use writing instead of voice acting. You read the text and get in to it. With voice acting, often the scripts are cheapened ( IMO ). It is comparing a well written novel to a Hollywood action movie. This is basically what RPG are turning in to.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#6AsucaHayashiPosted 12/15/2013 4:49:55 AM
i really should get back to playing some of the old ones.

i played some of them when i was much younger but with incredibly limited knowledge of english, i was pretty much fumbling and half-assing my way through with no real knowledge of what was going on.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png
#7Majoras_pantsPosted 12/15/2013 4:56:34 AM
RPGs haven't been the same since they started ported them to consoles. Everything is dumbed down and we get cheap plots and simple gameplay for the lowest common denominator.

Outside of Obsidian, nobody really makes good RPGs anymore.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#8GTL581Posted 12/15/2013 5:06:17 AM
Rpgs have been ported to consoles since the early 80s. I can't say much for their quality because of course the original pc version will be deeper and more well rounded of an experience. But i do agree to a certain degree, rpgs of late have more frequently toned down the content of what made them great in exchange for more accessibility, thus dulling the experience
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#9Majoras_pantsPosted 12/15/2013 5:11:52 AM
JRPGs were on consoles and RPGs were on PCs, that's basically the way it was for a LONG time. And then with the Xbox, RPGs started dropping on console, and the 360 and PS3 made it common for RPGs to be released across the boards while JRPGs crawled away to handhelds.

And games have definitely been dumbed down since to accommodate console gamers.

Look at what Bioware has become, and bethesda. It's just been a mess ever since. Having to down down mechanics to work on controllers and dumb down plots to appeal to casuals hurt the genre pretty bad.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#10Crisis_UKPosted 12/15/2013 5:31:25 AM
DavidMeyer posted...
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura...

Despite having great AAA titles like Skyrim, Battlefield 4 and other MMOs in 2013, no game captures my attention and interest like Arcanum. The game is just too much fun, character customization is great (High charm character anyone?) and there are consequences to decisions.This is probably my 4th playthrough and I am still trying new things out.

Are there any similar Arcanum fans out here? The game does look dated though. Are there any modern games that play like Arcanum and offer such tons of customizing? I may have missed out some. I do know the sequel to Arcanum was shelved but there has to be similar games out there right?

Cheers!!

Where can I buy this arcanum?
---
I come from the Orcs. We eat with spoons and forks. We love to eat our pork!