This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Highly regretting my Android tablet purchase, should have went Windows

#1Wyand_VoidbringPosted 12/15/2013 8:25:06 AM(edited)
You can't DO anything on it. You can only CONSUME things.

The games are ass and filled with in app purchases. The productivity software is inferior. You can't do legit software development. And I am wracking my brain to try to come up with a legitimate use for the thing.

At least something like the Asus T100 can run proper games, it comes with MS Office, you can install any IDE you desire, and its a fully functional computer.

What do you use your tablet for? The more I look at this Nexus 7 the more useless it a becoming. The only thing it can do better than my other electronics is comic book reading, which I don't do anyway.
#2clowningPosted 12/15/2013 8:30:45 AM
I use a Surface Pro because of this exactly. The Apple and Android tablets are useless for anything beyond social media/streaming and playing bubble pop.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#3Majoras_pantsPosted 12/15/2013 8:33:03 AM
I switched from iPad to Nexus 7 recently and love the move, but yeah I probably would have been happier with a surface pro.

There are some good games though. I'm really liking little great war game and rising empires.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#4CremaciousPosted 12/15/2013 8:34:30 AM
Sounds more like you just don't like Android.
---
PSN: Cremacious
#5Wyand_Voidbring(Topic Creator)Posted 12/15/2013 8:36:46 AM
Cremacious posted...

Love Android. Its a great OS, and I write apps for it... On my phone...

It works just fine as a phone OS. iOS as well. But when you get into tablet territory I want something that will fully replace a laptop. I don't want a giant phone.
#6Majoras_pantsPosted 12/15/2013 8:39:05 AM
Wyand_Voidbring posted...
Cremacious posted...

It works just fine as a phone OS. iOS as well. But when you get into tablet territory I want something that will fully replace a laptop. I don't want a giant phone.

That's not really going to happen outside of the hybrids.

Why not just get a laptop? You'll never get the same functionality in a tablet. Tablets are more for casual things, like games, reading, casual browsing and watching things.
---
#7r7gerrabbitPosted 12/15/2013 8:45:55 AM(edited)
Majoras_pants posted...
Wyand_Voidbring posted...
Cremacious posted...

That's not really going to happen outside of the hybrids.

Why not just get a laptop? You'll never get the same functionality in a tablet. Tablets are more for casual things, like games, reading, casual browsing and watching things.

Surface Pro 2
Asus T100
Dell Venu 8 Pro
Dell Venu 11 Pro
HP ENVY
Sony VAIO Tap

Then there's Lenovo with their entire lineup...

These are all Windows 8.1 tablets running FULL Windows 8.1, not RT. They can be used as a tablet, or docked to a keyboard/mouse and used like a traditional Windows desktop. For even better functionality many of these tablets even have Mini-HDMI, so you're encouraged to stick them on your monitor or TV Screen.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Mqy7G.gif
#8Majoras_pantsPosted 12/15/2013 8:56:50 AM
Right. Hybrids.
---
#9SinisterSlayPosted 12/15/2013 9:00:46 AM
I'm typing this from my nexus 7 first gen.

I agree it's tough to use for production of content. Just typing is a chore. Typing in gamefaqs is especially bad because you can't zoom out to see the whole box so you can't click it correct mistakes. Can't quote, can't do much of anything. Even just hitting the post button is a chore.

But i still use it a lot to browse the web and play games.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#10Kokuei05Posted 12/15/2013 9:03:10 AM(edited)
I like the Nexus 7. However I have to specify that I don't have any other electronics that have similar functions in a similar form. My phone is a phone. The only other place I have to read my epubs is my PSP with a java applet emulator.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u155ncSlkCk