This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

20 year old redesigned windows 8 to make it better.

#11The_AntiGrimPosted 12/15/2013 11:43:43 AM
d209999 posted...
cynicwithin2000 posted...
So because his design is literally nothing more than the start menu that exists now shrunken down to show the desktop at the same time, that makes it better? What's embarrassing is how patheticly ignorant the majority of people have become these days.

---
my_name_is_Ed
#12Kad-ManPosted 12/15/2013 12:09:24 PM
skychan posted...
RJrockstar posted...
I smiled when I saw uTorrent

utorrent suck now but i did smiled lol

Thats why you dont update it and use versions that are still good..
#13MediaEngine_PRXPosted 12/15/2013 2:40:54 PM
So because his design is literally nothing more than the start menu that exists now shrunken down to show the desktop at the same time, that makes it better? What's embarrassing is how patheticly ignorant the majority of people have become these days.

Umm yes, it doesn't deviate your focus from the current task in focus, while still potentially allowing you to receive essential information such as email, weather, calendar, etc. Sure its still just an imperfect concept, but it's slightly less terrible than what is offered currently. It's amazing how blind Windows 8 fanboys who know nothing of what makes a desktop environment productive are shamelessly quoting you.
---
Samsung Series 7 | i7-3635QM | HD 8770M 1GB | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 256GB SSD
#14d209999Posted 12/15/2013 2:52:50 PM
MediaEngine_PRX posted...

Umm yes, it doesn't deviate your focus from the current task in focus, while still potentially allowing you to receive essential information such as email, weather, calendar, etc. Sure its still just an imperfect concept, but it's slightly less terrible than what is offered currently. It's amazing how blind Windows 8 fanboys who know nothing of what makes a desktop environment productive are shamelessly quoting you.

So, you want a notifications bar? What does that have to do with a Start menu?
---
*under construction*
#15eragonman9Posted 12/15/2013 3:03:45 PM
I don't dislike W8's native design. People hop on the complaint bandwagon too easily.
I'm not sure why Microsoft would care about this redesign.
---
We march for Macragge!
And we shall know no fear!
#16MediaEngine_PRXPosted 12/15/2013 3:13:04 PM(edited)
d209999 posted...

A notifications bar and a start menu in one isn't a bad idea at all. I think its fine and dandy if I can just press my meta-key and get a glorified notifications panel (with the ability to click and launch the apps in desktop or full mode if you prefer). Or I could start typing after pressing meta-key and search for what I need without losing focus on the desktop. Maybe they could even throw an option to open the full start screen. Honestly sounds better than forcing a new paradigm that isn't desktop-focused on desktop users. I bet this is very close to what MIcrosoft actually intends to do with the next update.

EDIT: As a quick note, it would make sense ofc if tablet-focused Windows 8 distributions, along with Windows RT, continue to emphasize the full start screen and apps as it is very touch-friendly and imo so much more productive than the competition.
---
Samsung Series 7 | i7-3635QM | HD 8770M 1GB | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 256GB SSD
#17mikewu1Posted 12/15/2013 3:33:44 PM
d209999 posted...
#18WyzeGyePosted 12/15/2013 3:41:21 PM
That's actually a really nice look. I'd happily switch to that. Then again, i'm not saying anything is wrong with the start screen right now. But that kid hit the nail on the head with that idea.
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
http://youtu.be/AEKc-vNv_rU - updated 11/21/2013
#19d209999Posted 12/15/2013 3:45:29 PM
d209999 posted...

A notifications bar and a start menu in one isn't a bad idea at all. I think its fine and dandy if I can just press my meta-key and get a glorified notifications panel (with the ability to click and launch the apps in desktop or full mode if you prefer). Or I could start typing after pressing meta-key and search for what I need without losing focus on the desktop. Maybe they could even throw an option to open the full start screen. Honestly sounds better than forcing a new paradigm that isn't desktop-focused on desktop users. I bet this is very close to what MIcrosoft actually intends to do with the next update.

EDIT: As a quick note, it would make sense ofc if tablet-focused Windows 8 distributions, along with Windows RT, continue to emphasize the full start screen and apps as it is very touch-friendly and imo so much more productive than the competition.

I'm still confused as to what exactly you're asking for.

Windows 7's Start menu doesn't give you e-mail, weather, notifications, or anything meaningful outside of a list of text lines that show what you have installed on the computer. Windows 8 kind of does, but on a separate screen. Are you saying you would support Metro if you didn't have to switch away from the desktop to see it? Because you're clearly not asking for Windows 7 back.
---
*under construction*
#20Omegachaos87Posted 12/15/2013 11:03:04 PM
I had windows 8 on a cheap netbook I bought last year, and I uninstalled it and used a spare copy of 7 I had, and never looked back. I'm not "upgrading" to windows 8, ever. Maybe they'll get it right with 9.