This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

what happened to games? are graphics actually that important?

#31BogePosted 12/17/2013 6:16:53 PM
Sorry, I didn't read this post, but I have words about what happened to games.

I was thinking about this yesterday.

Games back in the 90s basically gave you a huge obstacle course. To counter, they gave you tools (jump, shoot, climb, whatever). Then they just let you go through that obstacle course how you decided to. You had to explore and figure things out. You had to watch your enemies and environment and study them and try different things until you got through that part of the game. Seriously, when is the last time you played a video game and had to stop and say,"I can't figure out how to get past this part." It doesn't happen.

Today's games give you a gun and enemies and one curvy line with flags and flashing lights saying,"Go here! Shoot this guy! Climb up this! Jump over this! Push this! Shoot this guy here!" There is no more gamer. It's more like a carnival ride than a game that you're playing. You aren't in control anymore. You are just a passenger.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#32SuigintouEVPosted 12/17/2013 9:41:13 PM
deadlyhunter posted...
now recently games are going down the super complex 3d high rez routes.

Maybe that, or maybe you have been looking in the wrong places. I mean your argument was

"Man back in the day I used to love top-tier JRPGs, these days the middle-tier WRPGs don't cut it for me"

I mean, I can't be the only one who sees an issue with that...???

It seems to me that the only thing that has change since then is the media's taste and as a function, popularity.

There are still great games being made today, but the media just doesn't hype them up the same way.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#33LordOfLegaciesPosted 12/18/2013 8:54:15 PM
DiviDude posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...
Don't flatter yourself.
And jumping to ad hominems rather than arguing? You're done here.

"Crysis has a good story"
"Really? Most people think it has a bad story"
"omg get over yourself man" *throws mini tantrum*

Seriously, if you can't even take someone saying "your opinion is different from the general consensus", then you are on the wrong forum/are 12 years old.

Don't try to twist what's been said, it's almost as bad a tactic as ad hominems which I see you're still sticking with.
I said Crysis had an interesting story.
You said the story had "nothing going for it".
I made fun of you for thinking your opinion mattered to me, I never said "omg" and I certainly never said you were a man.
You jumped to the "hurr you're a baby" thing.

And the definition of a tantrum is a sudden burst of ill temper. I was casually making fun of you, you're the one getting hostile on the internet. If you think me calling you a random faceless nobody on the internet counts as throwing a tantrum, then why don't you explain to me how you are anything but that to me?

I say again, get over yourself.
---
The moderation staff and system on this website are both absolutely terrible.
#34DiviDudePosted 12/18/2013 8:59:20 PM
LordOfLegacies posted...
DiviDude posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...
Don't flatter yourself.
And jumping to ad hominems rather than arguing? You're done here.

"Crysis has a good story"
"Really? Most people think it has a bad story"
"omg get over yourself man" *throws mini tantrum*

Seriously, if you can't even take someone saying "your opinion is different from the general consensus", then you are on the wrong forum/are 12 years old.

Don't try to twist what's been said, it's almost as bad a tactic as ad hominems which I see you're still sticking with.
I said Crysis had an interesting story.
You said the story had "nothing going for it".
I made fun of you for thinking your opinion mattered to me, I never said "omg" and I certainly never said you were a man.
You jumped to the "hurr you're a baby" thing.

And the definition of a tantrum is a sudden burst of ill temper. I was casually making fun of you, you're the one getting hostile on the internet. If you think me calling you a random faceless nobody on the internet counts as throwing a tantrum, then why don't you explain to me how you are anything but that to me?

I say again, get over yourself.

Jeez, you're a legitimate crazy person drama queen.

Got it.

Bye.
#35LordOfLegaciesPosted 12/20/2013 5:44:28 PM
Another ad hominem followed by pretending to be done with this conversation.
You lose.
---
#36Cool_Dude667Posted 12/20/2013 5:47:39 PM
LordOfLegacies posted...
You lose.

Nobody ever wins in a gameFAQs argument, infact everybody loses.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#37LordOfLegaciesPosted 12/20/2013 7:48:46 PM
Cool_Dude667 posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...
You lose.

Nobody ever wins in a gameFAQs argument, infact everybody loses.

They say the winner is the one who has the most fun, and I get a kick out of arguing with people on the internet.
---
#38datopgamerPosted 12/21/2013 9:11:46 AM
Graphics have always been an important factor in gaming. Companies were a
Ways trying to push the limits of technology. Look at Mode7 on the SNES or the engine Rare used for their games on SNES or N64. That being said I think it was harder back then to get sales so companies had to constantly try new things in their games to get the "wow" factor. Look at blast processing or adding blood to games that really just happened in the 16-bit era. Today gamers are more likely to stick to certain types of games and criticize developers who try to change what they're used to. This in turn causes developers to conform to the norm, for example regenerating health, and most developers are scared to try new things because they want to get sales. This is my problem with gaming today. While not all is bad it gets harder and harder for me to find a game that I actually want to finish.
---
Posted using GameFlux