This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about Steam Machine game compatibility

#1rumble_bellyPosted 12/15/2013 6:31:57 PM
I haven't really paid much attention to the Steam Machine, but I am considering it now that the price tag is lower than I expected. Anyway, since SteamOS is Linux based, will Steam Machine be able to only run Linux games? It won't run Windows games or will it?
#2SinisterSlayPosted 12/15/2013 6:34:48 PM
They haven't said yet.

All we can do is guess.

As a guess, I'd say only Linux games, and windows game that work through WINE. There is a decent probability that either now, or later, WINE will be fully integrated into Steam to allow windows games to run.

You can also apparently stream from a windows machine, but that seems sort of pointless. It would just add input lag.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3Saga3Posted 12/15/2013 6:35:43 PM
Wasn't it said that it can play every single game in the Steam library?
#4ShubPosted 12/15/2013 6:36:24 PM
Saga3 posted...
Wasn't it said that it can play every single game in the Steam library?

Technically it can, but not out of the box. You'd have to install Windows on it.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5biohazard1775Posted 12/15/2013 8:30:09 PM
I really hope it can...
---
http://i.imgur.com/nrx65Pw.jpg
We should take away their metal boxes!
#6Majoras_pantsPosted 12/15/2013 8:41:08 PM
It runs \any game you can play on linux, right now.

But it's a PC, you can just install windows. Or stream from any windows PC in the home network.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#7rumble_belly(Topic Creator)Posted 12/15/2013 8:50:28 PM
Majoras_pants posted...
Or stream from any windows PC in the home network.

Would streaming require your PC to actually be able to play the game or can any crappy old PC stream it?
#8Majoras_pantsPosted 12/15/2013 9:00:02 PM
Yeah. The streaming PC plays the game, the receiving PC just outputs it.

So in this case, the windows PC needs the specs, while the receiving PC (the one with steam OS) can be any ratty PC.

So the streaming option is for people who already have a good gaming PC and buys a steambox or any other PC to keep near their TV as a second PC for streaming or something.

Most people who buy steam machines, will obviously be buying it as their gaming PC. It's not really attractive for people who already have a good gaming PC. So their best option, unless or until steam finds a way to get every PC game running on steamOS, is to just install windows on it. It's just a regular PC in a small box with Steam's OS preloaded. It's not a special machine in any way. If you install windows, you have a gaming PC in a case that takes up a little less room.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#9TimePharaohPosted 12/15/2013 9:00:11 PM
rumble_belly posted...
Majoras_pants posted...
Or stream from any windows PC in the home network.

Would streaming require your PC to actually be able to play the game or can any crappy old PC stream it?

Let's use some basic logic here

I'll wait, go find some.
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#10rumble_belly(Topic Creator)Posted 12/15/2013 9:06:19 PM
Majoras_pants posted...
Yeah. The streaming PC plays the game, the receiving PC just outputs it.

So in this case, the windows PC needs the specs, while the receiving PC (the one with steam OS) can be any ratty PC.

So the streaming option is for people who already have a good gaming PC and buys a steambox or any other PC to keep near their TV as a second PC for streaming or something.

Most people who buy steam machines, will obviously be buying it as their gaming PC. It's not really attractive for people who already have a good gaming PC. So their best option, unless or until steam finds a way to get every PC game running on steamOS, is to just install windows on it. It's just a regular PC in a small box with Steam's OS preloaded. It's not a special machine in any way. If you install windows, you have a gaming PC in a case that takes up a little less room.

Thanks. I don't have a gaming PC so streaming it out for me. Steam Machine doesn't have a dvd drive does it? How would you install Windows then? Even if you burned it as an iso file or whatever and transferred it to Steam Machine, can it actually read iso files?