This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what's the general consensus on the R9 290X vs the GeForce 780Ti?

#1SleepComaPosted 12/15/2013 8:04:34 PM
???

The R9 290x is $150 cheaper but it might be hard to find right now.
---
Duck Butter
#2GarquillPosted 12/15/2013 8:09:06 PM
gsync > mantle
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#3wizardmonPosted 12/15/2013 8:16:29 PM
If your willing to wait till the Gsync monitors start rolling out, then that's the better bet at this point.

AMD can't use Gsync, but Nvidia is being allowed to use Mantle if they can swallow their pride.

Unfortunately for the consumer, that's not going to happen - but Gsync is still the more important technology in the end. It will offer Removal of stuttering, removal of input lag, removal of screen tearing all with no downsides. Mantle is only going to be for select games and requires extra work from the developer to implement, and it's still going to have all the current downsides we have with games now.

http://youtu.be/3PJjhBUSuHk
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#4MannerHatcheryPosted 12/15/2013 8:28:24 PM
Well since the prices jumped it's actually more like a $100 difference.
Comparing reference cards, the 780 Ti outperforms the the 290x by a bit in all the gaming benchmarks I've seen, and when both cards are overclocked the 780 Ti pulls pretty far ahead. It also runs cooler and quieter.

Still, I would wait to see how the 290x non-reference cards perform if I was trying to make a decision between the two. For all we know it may overclock well with a halfway decent cooler attached.
#5Crimson_JesusPosted 12/15/2013 8:34:29 PM
Nvidia is never going to support Mantle. It's not a matter of pride, it's a matter of money. It will probably take them at least a year to develop their upcoming video cards to support the new API and Mantle is still going to be a niche so it's just money lost.
---
If you believe in Cthulhu and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/Sigs/CrimsonJesus.jpg
#6SleepComa(Topic Creator)Posted 12/15/2013 9:31:30 PM
Very exciting to see what the future holds then...

I'm probably going to go ahead and buy the 780 Ti but still that 290x is definitely something.

I wish I could wait but as it stands I don't have a GPU anymore =(.
---
Duck Butter
#7aak57Posted 12/15/2013 9:32:40 PM
If you have to buy now, skip both and get the 780 Classified.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#8Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/15/2013 10:01:09 PM
aak57 posted...
If you have to buy now, skip both and get the 780 Classified.

Ya, it clocks almost up there to a factory 780ti, and its 550, if you gonna spend $300ish, just add another $400 to that and get 2 Classifieds yo
---
Steam: Xeeh Bitz | PSN: Xeeh Bitz | XBL: Xeeh You
#9DarkZV2BetaPosted 12/15/2013 10:27:00 PM
In order to support Mantle, nVidia would either have to use GCN, and pay royalties for that, as well as scrap their architecture roadmap and all of their engineering progress, or slap the name "Mantle" on their existing APIs for no damn reason.
It's really doubtful AMD actually made Mantle to be used by anyone but themselves, so it doesn't matter how open they claim it is.
That said, 780Ti is a faster card. Not really about Gsync or Mantle. You get what you pay for. Or, if you buy AMD right now, less than what you pay for.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79