This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which mobile OS for app programming?

#11electroflamePosted 12/16/2013 12:20:08 PM
Honestly just go with Android to start, it's the most open platform of the bunch

It's also been proven that you make substantially less money due to out-of-control piracy.

Honestly, iOS is your best bet. There's frameworks that you can use to make cross-platform easier (although using the Unity Engine is your best bet).

iOS can also use C/C++, but you've got to have some Obj-C bridges in there to wrap some of that code up the last I heard. Not to mention that all of the native iOS APIs can only be accessed by Obj-C, unless you write wrappers for it.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#12jelly2008(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2013 12:35:47 PM
electroflame posted...
Honestly just go with Android to start, it's the most open platform of the bunch

It's also been proven that you make substantially less money due to out-of-control piracy.

Honestly, iOS is your best bet. There's frameworks that you can use to make cross-platform easier (although using the Unity Engine is your best bet).

iOS can also use C/C++, but you've got to have some Obj-C bridges in there to wrap some of that code up the last I heard. Not to mention that all of the native iOS APIs can only be accessed by Obj-C, unless you write wrappers for it.

I see. Hmmm. Thanks for the heads-up. So I release the same app for 3 platforms using bridges wherever necessary, right?
---
Intel C2D E7500/ Intel DG41RQ/ CM GX550W Bronze/ ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU/ 4GB Transcend DDR2-800 RAM/ Seagate 320GB + 1TB HDD/ Hitachi 250GB HDD/ Win 8.1 64-bit
#13electroflamePosted 12/16/2013 7:05:38 PM
I see. Hmmm. Thanks for the heads-up. So I release the same app for 3 platforms using bridges wherever necessary, right?

You could, but it'd be a ton of work and you've also got to remember that for every API you bridge, the performance (usually) drops with each successive bridge.

My advice: Go the Unity route. You work with C# and your app immediately works everywhere (obviously, with a few tweaks like resolution of platform-specific APIs, etc.). It's free to use, and you can publish apps and make money off of them even with the free version.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#14r7gerrabbitPosted 12/16/2013 7:15:01 PM(edited)
Android uses Java
iOS uses Objective C
Windows Phone uses C#

Android is 100% free to develop for and to publish apps. It can be run on any OS out there.

iOS requires a developer account from Apple, which costs money. You also REQUIRE an Apple computer running OSX to publish your app. There are services that can sign it for you, but they usually cost, I don't know how good they are, and you would need to use them to sign your app every time you want to put out an update.

Windows Phone requires Windows. But it's free like Android.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Mqy7G.gif
#15jelly2008(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2013 10:42:26 PM
Aha. Noted. Thanks for the info, guys :)
---
Intel C2D E7500/ Intel DG41RQ/ CM GX550W Bronze/ ASUS ENGTS450 DirectCU/ 4GB Transcend DDR2-800 RAM/ Seagate 320GB + 1TB HDD/ Hitachi 250GB HDD/ Win 8.1 64-bit
#16ChromaticAngelPosted 12/18/2013 11:39:19 PM
electroflame posted...

this is why the marketplace is literally bursting with F2P horse s***
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.