This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How/Why am I getting ads on my laptop when I can't even see the ads popped up?

#11SinisterSlayPosted 12/16/2013 9:32:25 AM
Block flash.
I hate those flash movies that start auto playing. I keep flash blocked except for specific websites.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#12zerooo0(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2013 9:33:10 AM
I think I found the issue is with this Chrome OS Beta thing that I downloaded which doesn't properly format to my laptop. I'm trying to uninstall it, but I don't know how? I try to uninstall Chrome, but it says I apparently have the Chrome OS running in the background which it wont let me uninstall that.

It says"Please close all Google Chrome Windows(including those in Windows 8 mode) and try again" But, I don't have Chrome running at all, minus that Chrome OS which I don't know how to uninstall which I think is the source for my mysterious ad infection.
---
Starwars Battlefront+Destiny+Titanfall+Battlefield 4+Halo 5=Me in FPS heaven for these next few years.
#13KnifegashPosted 12/16/2013 9:34:29 AM
Try updating your active filters.

And no, I don't allow gamefaqs. It'd be a sure thing if an ad was limited to the top banner, but I checked it out recently on a computer that didn't have adblock on, and there are banners on all sides now, sometimes all advertising the exact same thing. If they could, they'd put an ad front-and-center, which I wouldn't be surprised if they've already done. You know the ones, where it fades out the whole screen so you can focus on it, and then you have to click the tiny X to get rid of it, only the element to exit out is off center of the ''x'' so you accidentally click on the ad and it takes you to AdLand to purchase products you never knew you actually wanted.
---
Isn't that right, Zach?
http://tinyurl.com/5vsjbj6
#14zerooo0(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2013 9:34:37 AM
wizardmon posted...
zerooo0 posted...
Odd, I just closed out of Firefox, and the ad was still playing through...this is odd?

CTRL + ALT + Delete and look at your open processes. Be sure to be looking at processes from all users.

Thank you, I just uninstalled Chrome with that. Now the waiting game to see if any of these mysterious ads pops up.
---
Starwars Battlefront+Destiny+Titanfall+Battlefield 4+Halo 5=Me in FPS heaven for these next few years.
#15wizardmonPosted 12/16/2013 9:40:01 AM
zerooo0 posted...
wizardmon posted...
zerooo0 posted...
Odd, I just closed out of Firefox, and the ad was still playing through...this is odd?

CTRL + ALT + Delete and look at your open processes. Be sure to be looking at processes from all users.

Thank you, I just uninstalled Chrome with that. Now the waiting game to see if any of these mysterious ads pops up.

Uninstalled is a bit strong, what you probably meant to say is "I just closed Chrome with that".

If you uninstalled it, that would mean you deleted it from your computer's storage drive so that it can no longer be opened.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#16zerooo0(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2013 9:44:04 AM
wizardmon posted...
zerooo0 posted...
wizardmon posted...
zerooo0 posted...

Uninstalled is a bit strong, what you probably meant to say is "I just closed Chrome with that".

If you uninstalled it, that would mean you deleted it from your computer's storage drive so that it can no longer be opened.

Right, I just uninstalled it or deleted it which ever is the better word of choice. Apparently it was the Chrome OS in the background was getting ads somehow that would explain the mysterious ads that I could not click out or just wait for them to go away.

Either way that's of no importance, and am just glad this is finally fixed lol.
---
#17Knight2520Posted 12/16/2013 10:49:01 AM
MahoganyTooth92 posted...

Isn't Gamefaqs owned by some big american media company? In which case, they don't need money.

Bad logic is bad, but GameFAQs does tend to have pretty annoying ads. At least when I last saw ads here, which was in 2008. I even got a virus once from an ad here.
---
can u even count 30 in 1 second? no, u can't. so u can't tell difference between 30fps and 60fps. stupid. -Shinobier-